Father of the Year Award - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Father of the Year Award

Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
shawnleary
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I swear this wasn't a setup. I drank my last bottle of my Stone IPA Clone (delicious btw) last night and rinsed out the bottle and threw it on the "bottle drying rack" without thinking. I looked over and had to snap a pic.

Has anyone else had one of those moments where parenting and beer brewing collide?

Often I get some odd looking stares from my neighbors passing by with my 20G boil pot steaming away in the driveway in front of my garage. I know they are looking for the distilling equipment thinking I am moonshining!
Click image for larger version

Name:	father_of_the_year.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	88027  

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
alestateyall

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts

Dual purpose. Looks like good times at your house.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

Looks like you have some catching up to do.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
julioardz
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts

Are you collecting breast milk in beer bottles?

I have fun when combining parenting and brewing. I liked the reaction my wife had when I filled a beer bottle with juice and had my son walk around the house drinking from it. It was also fun having him smell the hop bags. He use to make an ugly face. I filmed it the last time I brewed, but this time he took a few sniffs and said he liked it. That was a proud daddy moment.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
DaveMcPhee
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Austin, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can easily fit a plastic nipple over a can. Just a little tip.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Congers, NY
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have that same drying rack and have been tempted to do that as well. The wife would flip out though if I did, lol.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Coldies
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Haha yeah I got the odd stares when I first moved into my neighborhood. Its very "white picket fence" but now the neighbors always come over when I'm brewing and drink my beer. I also have had a few neighbor brew days where I let them do the brewing and I just sit back and drink and make sure there doing everything correctly. We currently have a community porter fermenting for new years eve.

BeardedIdiot Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Yes! Awesome.

My most recent FOTY award happened a couple of months ago. I was at the park with my younger son, and he was playing some imaginary story-game. He comes running over to where I'm sitting on the bench with something invisible in his hand. "Dad," he shouts, loud enough for all the other parents to hear, "I brought you your favorite. It's a cherry soaked in alcohol!" Sweet--glad the whole neighborhood knows that Dad's a drunk.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
shawnleary
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldies
Haha yeah I got the odd stares when I first moved into my neighborhood. Its very "white picket fence" but now the neighbors always come over when I'm brewing and drink my beer. I also have had a few neighbor brew days where I let them do the brewing and I just sit back and drink and make sure there doing everything correctly. We currently have a community porter fermenting for new years eve.
I have a couple that I will put to work the next time they come by and watch. Great idea!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

As the father of a three-week old (fourth overall) and avid brewer I heartily endorse that picture!

My wife sanitizes soothers, bottles, etc. by boiling them. I keep telling her just to use Starsan but so far, no go.

@evilgoatbrewing