A VERY SERIOUS Poll about bears - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A VERY SERIOUS Poll about bears

View Poll Results: What is your theory about using bears in fermentation?
I don't like it. In fact, I hate it a LOT. 12 10.00%
Dry Bearing is the super awesomest!!!! 19 15.83%
Gnome detection is too expensive. 32 26.67%
My dog eats the bears. 5 4.17%
I find myself attracted to bears. 6 5.00%
I am attracted to my dog. 9 7.50%
My dog is attracted to my bear. 12 10.00%
You get the idea..... 13 10.83%
I likes me some BREW FARIES. 27 22.50%
Hi, what was the question? 31 25.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts

How often, and for how many times do you re-use a bear?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Obviously, how much you spend on gnome detection/deterrence is largely related to your personal philosophies about brewing, the existence of small supernatural creatures, and your exposure to nuclear radiation. That said, I contacted these guys to come sweep my brew closet and identify likely ingress/egress ports for gnomes, and they wanted $10K minimum. Apparently, the iridium-laced meteorite material they use to detect gnome trails are incredibly difficult to come by...who knew?

Also, my dog's strong attraction to gnomes (apparently he's not the only one has made him a much more effective bear protector. You take what you can get.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts

Do you mean that your dog wants to chew on gnomes, or has a mis-placed sexual attraction to the little buggars?

Interesting either way.

Brew Faries have ever been the gift that keeps giving by keeping gnomes at bay for relatively little cost.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
ArcticBear

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Branford, CT
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

i like to keep my bears chilled prior to pushing them into the carboy... makes them feel at home and keeps them fresh.

personally, the gnome issue is a little bit of a mystery to me, i've yet to see one with anything but my peripherals but i have noticed their effects... damn little bastids love to harass my bears and get them all riled up, mocking them from outside the carboy.

if there was a clear solution to allowing my bears proper time to do their thing, without the threat of gnomes, i would be all over it, even if it was sold by overprice blichmann... but for now, i'll just have to go with keeping my bears on a cold cycle for freshness

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Do you mean that your dog wants to chew on gnomes, or has a mis-placed sexual attraction to the little buggars?

Interesting either way.

Brew Faries have ever been the gift that keeps giving by keeping gnomes at bay for relatively little cost.
The latter--I have to keep him on a leash when we walk past garden gnomes in the neighborhood. He really needs some friends.

As to the cost of fairy upkeep, I think it probably depends on what level of, erm, remuneration your fairies are accustomed to. Revvy's fairies would, one assumes, require a certain level of upkeep, which might get relatively expensive. My fairies might look like Roseanne Barr, but they get the job done, and don't need anything other than the occasional 10-pack of tacos from Taco Bell.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts

The effect of overuse of the homebrew end product. This thread.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2512 Times on 1770 Posts

I dry-bear my beers with a fresh cub each time. Yeah there is more of a chance the gnomes withh get in but thats prime beer-estate that they take up in your primary.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD

OK I know this is a little off-topic, but can anyone describe the flavor/aroma differences between different types of bears? I've pretty much always stuck with black, since I feel like it complements the darker beers that I prefer. Has anyone tried Kodiak, or maybe Panda? It would be interesting to try a combination of a few, but I don't know whether or not they'd get along in the carboy.

Also, this might be heretical, but any thoughts on koala?

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Cromwell
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts

I re-use my bear almost indefinitely. In addition, I find that oxygenating the bear each time with the little wand thingie is very good exercise for both me and the bear.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 980 Times on 709 Posts

do NOT use bear pellets. always use whole bears. trust me on this one.
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

BigPicture Likes This