Is this a good deal on Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade to kegging eventually, and figured I would pick up some of the equipment as I found it on sale or on craigslist. Well, I just got an email for 50% off 5 gallon Ball lock kegs from Midwest supples. retail is $49.99, so it would be about $25 each.

What do these usually go for?

This a good enough deal I should jump on it?

http://midwestsupplies.com/5-gallon...f_BallLock_Rewards_11_DEC_12&utm_medium=email

I got the email too, but it's 30% off, not 50%. Sure you read it correctly? Especially since your link is just to the kegs, and doesn't show the code (the link in the email I got has the code on the web page too).

It's also on their main page, the 30% off part.

I got 2 emails back to back. One for 30% off, then one for 50% off for rewards members only.

the 50% off is only for ball lock, not pin lock kegs. I don't even know what the difference is though.

$50 dollars for a reconditioned ball lock keg is not a steal, but depending on where you live is not a crazy price.

Even if you only get the 30% deal and my basic math skills don't fail me. Thats $35 a keg and that is not bad at all in my book. Unless they charge unusually high shipping. I don't think that company would do that though, you'll have to check. Either way you'' pay shipping.

If you can get the 50% off deal $25 per five gallon ball lock keg is a great price (as long as the shipping isn't outrageous)

There are a few differences between Pin-locks and Ball-Locks. Pin-lock refers to the type of post the in/out lines are connected to and do not have a manual pressure release valve, just a set pressure relief valve.. ie, certain pressure it lets go.

Ball locks have a different type post for the in/out fittings but do have a manually operated pressure relief valve. It comes in handy when you want to purge the keg of oxygen. A pin-lock can also be vented manually. Just by a different method.

Pin-locks cost less than ball locks. I prefer ball locks. Somepeople are very happy with pin-locks.

In the end, you want all the same type of kegs in your kegerator so you don't have to change out the quick disconnects (the part that attaches to the post) each time you change between a ball-lock or a pin lock keg.

There is also a slight difference in their dimemsions. Pinlocks are a bit shorter, maybe 1/2 inch and a little bit wider than ball locks. Sometimes the size is the determining factor in a kegorator setup. I hate to say search to take a look at both of them. Going to post this and then look up pics and dimensions of both and post back here unless somebody else already has.

Ball lock keg picture

Hard to see in the pic but their are no pins. *You'll be able to see the pins in next pic after this.
http://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/keg%201.jpg

Ball lock keg dimensions
25"H x 8.5"W

Pin lock keg picture. The pins are at the 9 and 3 o' clock position on both posts.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-x1IxniPTzKc/RbEN1Ntw-nI/AAAAAAAAAM0/VQBO9JeUxgg/DSCF0057.JPG

Pin lock keg dimensions
22-23"H x 9"W

One thing I think you can make out in each pic is the pressure relief. The ball lock has a little tab you can pull up on to vent the pressure. The pin lock doesn't, it just has a set relief pressure. Nothing to pull on to vent. Edit.. then again maybe you can't see the little tab on the ball lock, but it is there.

You can probably find better pics of each on "google images"

Aaaaaaannnnndddddd they're sold out.

Wonder if it was only that one time, and not to be offered again (this year)...

No matter though, I'm pretty good as far as kegs go. :ban: Just had another one free up last night and there's another that will be 'free' pretty soon. :D More than enough to cover what I have to keg, as well as what I have planned to brew through the end of the year.

Im really mad. I didn't have my credit card last night, so i waited until now to buy them. There goes my xmas gift.

F!

I work at Midwest and they're really low on ball lock kegs. They're selling the "racetrack" lid ball locks individually, but the standard ball lock kegs are only going out with a full regulator kit. The just scored a couple thousand kegs which prompted the sale, but the supply is really low.

Talked to them. Sold 1000 kegs right after first email this morning. Sold out. Even though only 4 per person, many people buying 4 per family member. Ha.

They just sent another email, replacing the offer with Pin Locked kegs. The pin locked kegs are regularly $39.99, so i guess i saved some money. The important thing is I am on my way to kegging.

They just sent another email, replacing the offer with Pin Locked kegs. The pin locked kegs are regularly $39.99, so i guess i saved some money. The important thing is I am on my way to kegging.

Issue I see with getting pin lock kegs is either you'll have two QD types (needing to change them if the kicked keg was the other) or you need to spend more to convert the pin lock keg over to a ball lock keg. Personally, I'd rather have just one type of QD to work with.

I bit on the 50% off pin lock kegs and ordered four. Came out to just under $25/each shipped, which seems like a pretty good price even though people seem to prefer the ball locks (commenters on the MidWest site seem to report that these pin lock kegs do have a manual pressure release, though that's not advertised by MidWest so presumably not guaranteed on all kegs).

Not sure I'm quite ready to switch over to kegging yet but the kegs don't seem to be getting any cheaper so I thought I'd grab a few now. If nothing else, from looking on Craigslist in my area I could probably resell them for $25 or more and cover my costs if I decide I don't want them.

They sold out of the ball locks while I was filling out the information on the site :( Oh well, with the swivels on the QD's it's easy to swap back and forth. I just couldn't pass up the offer, even if they are pin-locks I got on my way.

Back