Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How do you add coffee to a stout?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5942 Times on 4237 Posts
Likes Given: 1517

I'd add coffee, and not coffee grounds. Grounds are so finely ground that I don't imagine how you could keep them out of being in the final beer. Crushed beans would work in secondary, if they weren't crushed too fine so that you could siphon off of them.

Really strong french-pressed coffee would be great, though. I'd just use coffee.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
glassbottom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah our plan is either to cold press some coffee and add it before bottling, or grinding some beans coarsely and adding them to the secondary a few days before bottling. probably will go the cold press route though, that way we can maybe make some of the batch with coffee and some without to see the difference.
Keg 1: "Snow Pile" Pale Ale Keg 2: "Black IcePA"
Bottle: Session Pale, "Lost Dog" Java Cream Stout, "Urho's Ale" HopNog 2012 "Calverley" Copper Ale

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I coarsely ground about 0.7 oz of Caribou coffee, placed them in a fine mesh hop bag, and added to secondary for 24 hours just prior to bottling. Worked pretty well, hop bag keeps the grounds out of the finished coffee.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VI #2: Sunrise Wit
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Witbier
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine
On Deck: Dusseldorf Alt III, BGSA