Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am ONE impatient cuss!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default I am ONE impatient cuss!

OK, I admit it...I have a problem. Hi, Im Allen, and Im impatient! The batch I brewed for my first batch was the Mr. Beer kit brew that was "Classic American Light". The instructions for it said to let it ferment for a week, then bottle, let it sit for a week and then chill and enjoy. Now, I have read these forums enough to KNOW that those instructions aren't the best in the world. I actually let it ferment for a little over two weeks (should have been 3 or 4, but patience isnt a virtue for me). I bottled this last week and it has been sitting in a closet on a shelf since.

Well, I read the insructions again and it said to chill and enjoy after a week so I said, how bad can it be? I popped one of the bottles into the freezer for 45 minutes along with a glass.

I took it out, sat it in the sink (just in case...the bottle was HARD when I took it out of the closet) and carefully turned the lid. That familiar "shishhhh" escaped from the lid as the seal broke and I knew I had carbonation. Poured it in my glass and it was nice and clear. Had a small head on it. I smelled it and it smelled a little fruity, but definitely was beer! Then I tasted it.

Let me say here and now that I am glad that I didnt crack open that coors light that has been in my fridge for over a year. This beer isnt that bad. It definitely could use some more carbonation, but it isnt flat by any means. Had a nice, clean refreshing taste to it and I could see drinking a few of these as I am building my man cave or brewing a new brew. Seriously, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think Im gonna try one every Sunday night just to see what changes with it. Overall, I would say that it is better than Bud Light, but not quite as good as a Michelob at the moment. Definitely drinkable.

"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Nice! Pretty cool feeling, huh? hehehe I get that way just about everytime I brew...

Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I also HATE that attitude that I NEED TO BE MONITORED. Don't Tread on Me MF.
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
struggling author
Liked 3255 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 2369

Let'em sit 2 more weeks,then fridge at least a couple days. It'll be better yet. Patience is the first,most important thing to learn in brewing.
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle!
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah sure beats those years old coors huh? Congrats on your first beer.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1