For the record... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > For the record...

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

I am still VERY interested in using karela (bitter melon) as a bittering agent.

Do you think a palatable beer could be made? Would you add fresh karela to the boil or would you dehydrate it first almost like a hop pellet?

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

if it were me, I would forgo it as an ingredient until bottling/kegging. use your hops at later additions and let your beer ferment out.

Soak some of your melon in vodka, see if it extracts the bitterness and add it a little bit at a time to the beer until you get your desired bitterness - that way you can control the amount of bitterness it adds.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Liked 3475 Times on 2479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
if it were me, I would forgo it as an ingredient until bottling/kegging. use your hops at later additions and let your beer ferment out.

Soak some of your melon in vodka, see if it extracts the bitterness and add it a little bit at a time to the beer until you get your desired bitterness - that way you can control the amount of bitterness it adds.
Talking completely out of my a$$ here, but I'd agree with this. I'd probably pull a small bit of the beer into graduated cylinders so you can fine tune it before scaling up to the full batch.
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde