Pro/Commercial Recipe Sharing Etiquette - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pro/Commercial Recipe Sharing Etiquette

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
TheJasonT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 408
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts



Last night I was at Cigar City in Tampa and I got to talk with one of the brewers there about my homebrew, mashing, sparging, and everything under the sun.

Near the end of our conversation I asked him about Jai Alai, my most favorite IPA. He gave me a basic rundown of the ingredients but not specific numbers. I put something in iBrewMaster based on his info and got pretty close to matching the numbers on the Internet and including the "secret" hop they use.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to share what I came up with for others to try? I haven't tried the recipe yet but it's probably next on my list.

Thanks!!
__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Tamarlane
 
Tamarlane's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Tampa, FL
Posts: 271
Liked 174 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT View Post
Last night I was at Cigar City in Tampa and I got to talk with one of the brewers there about my homebrew, mashing, sparging, and everything under the sun.

Near the end of our conversation I asked him about Jai Alai, my most favorite IPA. He gave me a basic rundown of the ingredients but not specific numbers. I put something in iBrewMaster based on his info and got pretty close to matching the numbers on the Internet and including the "secret" hop they use.

My question is, is it bad etiquette to share what I came up with for others to try? I haven't tried the recipe yet but it's probably next on my list.

Thanks!!
Wayne published the Jai Alai IPA recipe years ago if you google around you can find plenty of examples. Secret hop? Better not mean Simcoe

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
ArcaneXor
 
ArcaneXor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 4,572
Liked 118 Times on 105 Posts


Wayne is pretty open about the Jai Alai recipe. He pretty much gave it out when they did their Brewing Network show, I believe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
TheJasonT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 408
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


No... The brewer told me it was a New Zealand varietal called Motueka, also known as B-Saaz from what I found.
__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Zamial
 
Zamial's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
WI
Posts: 3,183
Liked 178 Times on 158 Posts


I have a recipe from a local brewery that is a face melting great stout. When I asked the person if they minded if I shared on the home brew forum the reply I got was something like,"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

Ask before spilling crap on teh internet. This will make them, you and us happy.
__________________
I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Dawgs47
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Woodstock, GA
Posts: 73
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


I think if you met him one night and he was willing to share the information and did not include "don't pass this on" or something like that, then you are fine. Unless you slipped him Sodium Pentothal. I would brew it and tweak it before I posted it, for my own credibility, since brewing on the home brew scale is so different.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
TheJasonT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 408
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial
"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

Ask before spilling crap on teh internet. This will make them, you and us happy.
This might be the best advice/request I've seen. I'll be brewing this up around the end of the month and it'll be ready end if January. I'll let you all know how it turns out!
__________________
Thrive Brewing Company
www.facebook.com/PolarisBrewing
F1 - Empty F2 - Empty F3 - Empty F4 - Empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
granpooba19's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Princeton Jct, NJ
Posts: 115
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I have a recipe from a local brewery that is a face melting great stout. When I asked the person if they minded if I shared on the home brew forum the reply I got was something like,"I would appreciate if you would formulate a working recipe based off of ours before you post it up. If you do post your version of it do not mention us." I have not broken that request and still have a face melting stout because of it.

Ask before spilling crap on teh internet. This will make them, you and us happy.
So what's the face melting stout recipe? Without mentioning the brewery of course.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
Phunhog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 2,060
Liked 177 Times on 134 Posts


You know I have never understood why some breweries are so tight lipped about their recipes. The recipe is just a small, though very important, part of making a great beer. There are so many "little things" that make a beer great that just having the recipe isn't enough.
__________________
Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
granpooba19's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Princeton Jct, NJ
Posts: 115
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
You know I have never understood why some breweries are so tight lipped about their recipes. The recipe is just a small, though very important, part of making a great beer. There are so many "little things" that make a beer great that just having the recipe isn't enough.
I agree..I can't imagine that there are so many homebrewers out there that will start brewing their beer that it will subtract from their profits.

I would think it's actually goodwill to help us homebrewers out with their recipes.

Maybe I'm misguided but are there really that many home brewers that the commercial breweries will lose profit because we all brew their recipes and so many people stop buying the actual commercial brew?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recipe Etiquette pwkblue General Beer Discussion 97 11-09-2012 04:35 AM
Sharing a Citra IPA recipe jaytizzle Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 47 07-04-2012 02:40 PM
Sharing a recipe OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 0 03-05-2011 07:29 PM
Competition Recipe Etiquette? aubrey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 01-02-2011 05:24 PM
sharing a recipe OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-09-2010 08:15 AM


Forum Jump