ageable lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinstriplin

Reaction score
I'm about to get a fermentation chamber, and am excited about making lagers. My question is, are there any ageable lagers? I like to brew beer faster than I can drink it, so I want to mix in an ageable batch every once in a while to allow myself to keep up with the volume I make.

What do you mean by "ageable"? Do you mean one that is made for long term storing over drinking quickly? Or the other way around?

If you want a lager that turns over quickly, the keys would be: low gravity (like maybe no more than 1.040), super healthy fermentation (plenty of yeast, plenty of oxygen at pitch), and maybe an additional clearing/fining agent (gelatin) before kegging.

If you are looking for long term storage, ANY lager you make will be better with an extra 4 months than when its first "drinkable". How long you can wait is a factor of your patience and/or pipeline.

I started lagers recently, and Love them!
Bottom line.....the longer the cold lagering you do the better. I'd have no problem drinking a beer 8 months old, as long as you keep the temps in the low 30s.

Doppelbock is ideal for aging. They really can become complex over the long term.

You could make a Rauchbier with a really high proportion of rauch malt. The smokiness will fade over time; it will keep well and you can see how it changes.

Like a poster above said, the colder the storage, the better.

Back