Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you reuse your muslin bags?
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yooper's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 67,721
Liked 6990 Times on 4958 Posts
Likes Given: 1975


I reuse the "good" bags, but not the ultra-cheap cheesecloth types.

To reuse, turn them inside out and rinse well. Then put them in the washer with your laundry, or in the top rack of the dishwasher.

Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Yooper is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yesfan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,220
Liked 122 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 436


I reuse mine. They are the first things I clean at the end of brew day. It's a good idea to save at least a couple for emergencies. I accidentally tore one one time and had to use the one from my previous batch. As Yooper commented, I just turn the bags inside out and soap and rinse them out really well.

I've also done a couple of BIAB batches using the 5 gallon paint strainer bags. If the one gallon versions are made of the same material as the 5, then I'll like them better than the muslin bags from Northern Brewer as they will be more robust and easier to clean.

"There is no right way to brew. The journey to finding out what works best for you is 99% of the hobby. Ethanol is the other 1%" - Bobby M

Nooga Strong
Yesfan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
jsmcclure's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edina, MN
Posts: 144
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59


I use mostly nylon bags for my hops and miscellaneous additions. They are easy to clean. I don't see why you can't reuse them if it is worth your time to clean them. I wouldnt get paranoid about a stray particle left; they are used preboil and during boil so sterility isn't really much of an issue with them.
jsmcclure is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: May 2011
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 349
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts


my issue with the bags I've used before is they tend to be falling apart and unraveling by the time I'm done with them. Not a great candidate for reuse at that point.
Primary 1: EMPTY
Primary 2: EMPTY
Bottled: super-lite
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
Doctor_Wily is offline
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
muslin bags vs nylon bags jaycount Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 11-18-2013 02:25 PM
Is it ok to reuse muslin bags ? Brewit718 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 06-23-2012 01:30 AM
Muslin bags dmbnpj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 03-03-2009 08:36 PM
Grain Bags / Muslin Bags? HOP-HEAD Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-03-2009 09:02 PM
Do you re-use muslin bags? BlackDogBrewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-29-2008 03:20 AM

Forum Jump