Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > new all grain brewer from San Diego

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
hustonfabrication
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default new all grain brewer from San Diego

Hello everyone! I just started brewing about 2 months ago, my job slowed down( I build swingout tire carrier bumpers for 80 series landcruisers and a few other things) and my good ol neighbor Chris said why dont you brew some beer I will show you how easy it is. Now I cant stop, so gratifying to drink beer I MADE!!! made 6 5g batches so far drank 1st 3 already in a 2g cornykeg. Each batch is getting better and better!

got Papazain book, Palmers book

welded a stainless 1/2" npt fitting in a full sized keg and plasma cut the top out

found 3 5g carboys on craigs list $17 each

bought a 6.5 g plastic bucket with sealing lid fermenter, airlock, hydrometer, rubber plug,dairy floating therm., and 250 clone recipe mag, 3/8 and 1/2 tubing, 1/2 auto siphon, bottle wand, bottle capper(cappa) my mom mailed me from back home( Brockton city of champions!)and a gallon of bleach to clean stuf with. got a taylor digital therm at target($14). wish the probe was a bit longer, some paint strainer bags, I think that is about it?

turkey fryer I had collecting dust for years, holds sparge water. welded a fitting in it for draining

12g rectangle cooler mash/lauter tun with bulkhead fitting cut into it

the 5 gallon batches I made so far;

#1 alaskan amber(gone) .054 OG .025 FG mashed too hot 160-165, still drinkable but heavy mouthfeel and very cloudy
#2 alaskan amber(gone) .054 OG .014 Fg mashed 150-154 much better
#3 rainbow red ale(gone).053 OG .013 FG came out freekin awesome. wife thinks it is gross, not as good as coors light she says! yes good beer does taste a little different from sodawater
#4 rainbow red ale
#5 anchor steam
#6 anchor steam

1st 4 batches all with nottingham yeast( sucked up a good cup of bottom gunk and threw in in next batch, this seems to work so far. last 2 with cal lager yeast 2112

want to make a stout or porter next but I am too impatient to wait for months to be able to drink it( maybe black butte porter, I love samual smiths though) and am thinking about going to 10 gallon batches maybe

got a pound of cascade online $16 delivered, need more hops( lots of deals online for pounds) maybe ekg's fuggles northern magnum???

thanks for the help everyone!

Sean