Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First wild yeast

Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Default First wild yeast

I left a beer out, and it started to get cloudy, then form a layer of yeast on the glass. So I started feeding it with wort, building it up over several steps. Then I brewed a wheat beer with it.

2.25 lb Golden Promise
1.5 lb white wheat
1 lb wheat bulgar from the supermarket (needed more wheat and it was free)
.75 lb biscuit malt
0.4 oz home grown Fuggle at 60
0.1 oz EKG at 15

So.. I did a cereal mash with the wheat, and took a stick blender to the bulgar. I ended up decocting because I couldn't keep temp with such a small batch, and it took forever to get conversion. 2 hour mash.
OG 1.067
FG 1.000

whatever I captured dried it right the way out. The taste... really good so far. Funky, earthy, a little tart, warm on the throat which I think will fade with aging. I fermented at ambient basement temps for 5 weeks, which was something like low/mid 60's.

If you can get Fegly's Funky Monkey, it tastes a lot like that, but darker in color. Hope the bottles hold. Carbed it pretty high.

I'm guessing it's Brett, but I have no experience with it to know. I just hear it's a ubiquitous, so i'm guessing that's it. It should be mixed with a little American Ale II, but I have no idea if it survived. Going to try to keep some.