Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood? - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #91
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
We had a number of trees cut several months ago and figured it would be easy to find people that would want it for firewood so we didn't have the tree crew haul it off. Turns out over half of it was sweetgum which nobody likes to burn, so we're stuck with all this yard trash that is going to be either extremely laborious or expensive to remove.
Maybe you could grow oyster mushrooms. About a year from when they were cut is about right for inoculation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #92
shizzy77
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 46
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


I live in the city.
I wear bib overalls.
I brew beer.
I garden.
I grow 12 foot tall sunflowers.
I grow hops.
I have a Shih Tzu-terrier mix (read lady dog) dog.
I'm heavily tattooed.
I ride a bicycle.
I own a truck.
I prefer not to wear shoes during the summer.

I just may be.....

BeardedIdiot Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #93
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy77 View Post
I live in the city.
I wear bib overalls.
I brew beer.
I garden.
I grow 12 foot tall sunflowers.
I grow hops.
I have a Shih Tzu-terrier mix (read lady dog) dog.
I'm heavily tattooed.
I ride a bicycle.
I own a truck.
I prefer not to wear shoes during the summer.

I just may be.....
/me Removes hat in respect.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #94
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Heh, when I put up my hop posts, they kind of look like a row of 4 huge crosses in the back yard. I had about a half dozen people gingerly ask what they were within the first week. Once I told them they were for growing hops, people were fine with it. One person even said "for making beer!?" as soon as I said they were hops.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #95
scoundrel
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 807
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot
Heh, when I put up my hop posts, they kind of look like a row of 4 huge crosses in the back yard. I had about a half dozen people gingerly ask what they were within the first week. Once I told them they were for growing hops, people were fine with it. One person even said "for making beer!?" as soon as I said they were hops.
Ya mine looks like a cross too. My next door neighbor is a vegetarian and asked me a lot of questions. He has a huge garden. It's funny cause I overheard his wife say "what is that... What is it for?" She thinks its an eye sore. Apparently, It's not nearly as nice as her 30x10 garden with 10 foot high chicken wire fence to keep the deer out, lol.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #96
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Fortunately we live in a neighborhood where the smallest lot is a half acre (mine), and the largest is about 3 acres. So while its a close-knit little neighborhood, you're not really right on top of each other. And once people find out what I'm doing, they seem more interested, like they'd never thought of something like that before.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #97
malweth
 
malweth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 464
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


My neighborhood is pretty normal for New England I think. People are friendly and let others do what they want.

I brew in the front yard (driveway) and the first few times I got questions . . . but the normal way. The neighbor wives asked my wife what I was doing the other day. Still... I do talk to the other people in the neighborhood (usually at the school bus stop if I'm home for it). Other neighbors make alcohol -- but they make Italian cordials (Limoncello, sambuca, strega, etc).

My kids are at the destroy-the-house age, so we don't tend to host parties, but I'm thinking of trying to run a block party or two spring through fall this year. I just bought extra kegs (50% off MW, thank you); I'm going to try my hand at Root Beer; and I might make the portable dispensers from the most recent BYO. ("The Beer Tower" from http://byo.com/stories/issue/list/is...-december-2012 ).
__________________
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #98
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


I'm contemplating spending this Sunday building a beer tower/portable dispenser like that for a new years party. I want to take two kegs, and I know they won't have fridge space for them.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #99
scoundrel
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 807
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
My neighborhood is pretty normal for New England I think. People are friendly and let others do what they want.

I brew in the front yard (driveway) and the first few times I got questions . . . but the normal way. The neighbor wives asked my wife what I was doing the other day. Still... I do talk to the other people in the neighborhood (usually at the school bus stop if I'm home for it). Other neighbors make alcohol -- but they make Italian cordials (Limoncello, sambuca, strega, etc).

My kids are at the destroy-the-house age, so we don't tend to host parties, but I'm thinking of trying to run a block party or two spring through fall this year. I just bought extra kegs (50% off MW, thank you); I'm going to try my hand at Root Beer; and I might make the portable dispensers from the most recent BYO. ("The Beer Tower" from http://byo.com/stories/issue/list/is...-december-2012 ).
I'm curious. Right now my kids could care less about my beer but when they reach the destroy-the-house age I'm worried about the 5 gallon kegs. Did you put security measures in place or did you just tell them that you'll know if beer is missing?
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #100
BrewGeek_Ohio
 
BrewGeek_Ohio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I wonder the same thing. My kids are 8&9 but I really don't feel like I will need to worry. I expose them to it, they see me brew, they even help. They know the deal. As for measures though, I'm installing an RFID lock once I finish me smart keggerator controller. Coming soon to a brew house near you!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you Brew It recipe for Black Sheep Riggwelter EricCSU Recipes/Ingredients 15 11-01-2014 09:09 PM
Black Sheep Ale j_narbrew Homebrew Ale Recipes 3 02-04-2011 02:22 AM
Pitch Black Sheep IPA fineexampl Recipes/Ingredients 8 12-07-2010 07:45 PM
Weetabix Black Sheep Ale Clone Parkinson1963 Recipes/Ingredients 3 06-07-2010 04:13 AM
Black Sheep Ale Yooper Recipes/Ingredients 19 12-11-2007 06:31 PM


Forum Jump