Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Can wine Primary fermentation be done in carboy?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
freeflydude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can wine Primary fermentation be done in carboy?

I'm planning to make my first wine this weekend and would like to use a 6.5 gallon Carboy for primary fermentation. The instructions recommend a minimum 7.9 gallon bucket. I assume that is just for head space to prevent foam overs like in homebrewing. I always use a blow off tube with my Homebrew because it always foams over. Does anyone know of a reason not to use the Carboy for primary?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5941 Times on 4236 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflydude View Post
I'm planning to make my first wine this weekend and would like to use a 6.5 gallon Carboy for primary fermentation. The instructions recommend a minimum 7.9 gallon bucket. I assume that is just for head space to prevent foam overs like in homebrewing. I always use a blow off tube with my Homebrew because it always foams over. Does anyone know of a reason not to use the Carboy for primary?
No, that's fine.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 318

I couldn't imagine trying to punch a cap through the tiny hole on a carboy, so if your wine (kit?) includes skins I would not recommend a carboy.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I couldn't imagine trying to punch a cap through the tiny hole on a carboy, so if your wine (kit?) includes skins I would not recommend a carboy.
Yes, if its just juice the carboy will be fine. If you have grapeskins to 'punch down', a carboy is not the best option.