Kiwi Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
See main body
Efficiency was 74%

10 lbs Pale 2-row
8 oz Cara-pils
4 oz Crystal 80L
4 oz Chocolate malt

.5 oz Apollo @ 60 min
1 Whirlfloc tab @ 15 min
.5 oz Motueka @ 15 min
.5 oz Motueka @ 10 min
.5 oz Motueka @ 5 min
.5 oz Motueka @ FO

Ferment 10-14 days with US-05

2 oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop until total fermentation time is 21 days

Bottle with approximately 4 oz of table sugar and 1.5 tsp of gelatin bloomed in water for 1 hour and heated (but not boiled) just enough to dissolve

Notes:
I honestly debated on which category to put this recipe in. It's American in that it's aggressively hopped, but it uses mostly New Zealand hops, so there's that. It could be called an American Amber, but it lacks the body typically associated with amber ales. Color-wise I'd like to call it a red (wait, I am calling it a red), but there's definitely nothing Irish about it. In the end I just decided to call a spade a spade and so its been named.

Having said that, once you get past the mental torture of properly classifying the beer and then promptly ignore it, you'll find a well hopped, but not overly so, dry-ish ale that has notes of white wine, fruit and a little spiciness. Just enough malt character to keep the hops from completely consuming the beer. I haven't shared it yet, so I don't have any objective feedback, but I'll be including it in a trade soon so I'll get some notes on it then.

20121208_091000.jpg

Just a quick update. Got the seal of approval from my mother-in-law. She's never said she hasn't liked one of my brews, so I don't know if she's just being nice. But based on what I think of it and the fact that she likes craft beer, I think she's giving a legit opinion.

I am going to be brewing a red ipa this weekend and was thinking of using some Motueka, so this intrigued me. I noticed you didn't list the mash temp, so I was just curious.
I'll let you know how mine turns out. Our recipes are different but are geared towards the same goal.
Cheers!

Back