Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seeking advice re: using lactose at bottling as a "fix"

Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Big_Belgian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Seeking advice re: using lactose at bottling as a "fix"

I made a pale ale that fermented out much lower than I had planned - down to 1.006 (I know why it happened, but its not the point of my question so I'll just leave it at that). This was supposed to be a nice balanced APA with about 35 ibu and 5.5% abv. Since it fermented out so low, Hopville calculates a 6.9% abv for what I expect will be a very dry beer (NTTAWWT).

I don't mind dry beers, but am wondering whether a more experienced brewer might add some lactose at bottling? I want to bottle tomorrow (Sunday) and am just looking for some thoughts from those with some experience. I know it will be a decent beer either way, and don't want to overthink this, but I really wanted a nice, balanced, easy-drinking APA. Have researched the issue, and am thinking about adding 8 oz. of lactose with my priming sugar.

Thanks Homebrewtalkers!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would just drink it. Putting bandaids on a beers "flaw" almost never works out. You end up with something worse than what you started with. At that final gravity it should still be very drinkable.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, don't add the lactose. At 1.006 it may be dry, but for an APA, thats not a terribly bad thing. You might find with some carbonation and a chill that you really enjoy it. Drink it as is, and if it ever happens again, then try the lactose if you really didn't enjoy it.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
ong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a pale that finished a lot dryer and a bit tarter than I wanted, and I ended up stirring a drop of agave into each glass after I poured. I felt a little better after reading about certain German beers being served with a small pitcher of fruit syrup.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks guys. I followed your advice and it made my bottling day a bit easier yesterday. A simpler, easier process is always preferred in this hobby. The uncarbonated, warm sample tasted great, so I'm hopeful.