Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > AHS "Texas Bock" Wins Best Of Show!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
INeedANewHobby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS "Texas Bock" Wins Best Of Show!

This recipe was my 5th beer to make since January when I started. I used their partial mash recipe. I fermented cool (around 45-50*) and then lagered at 34* for about 3 months, with a 36 hour diacetyl rest in there of course!

Anyway, our local club help our 10th annual Cactus challenge this weekend. I had not entered this beer, as I just bottled it 3 weeks ago and had not had time to cold condition the bottles like I had planned to yet. Now I really like this beer, it's my favorite that I've brewed so far! So Friday night before the social events, I decided to go ahead and enter it for some feedback. It didn't really fit into the Bock categories, being a bit heavy on the IBU's, IMO. So I was looking through the BJCP book and found category 4c (Schwarzbier). It seemed the closest fit for this batch and I was running late....so that was my pick! I named it "Almostabock" on my entry forms.

So the weekend goes on and I got to judge the brown's in the morning, then IPA's and Barleywines in the afternoon There were some VERY good beers I judged! Onto the awards Saturday evening!

First flight called out was the dark lagers and bocks....First place....ME! SWEET! Then I got a 3rd place ribbon for my AHS "Blonde Ale"!! When it came time for best of show, I wasn't expecting any mention of my beer, as I knew there were some VERY good beers in that round!! When first place was called, I was looking around the room for this Matt Craft character...why isn't he standing up to go get his award??? IT'S ME!

I'm still in awe! I knew it was good, but had no idea that putting it into that category would work out so well!! Anyway, had to share! Thanks for all the help so far (from picking my starter equipment kit, to making my first starter, converting my cooler to a MLT, etc)!

PS....I didn't know where this belonged exactly, please move it to appropriate forum if needed!!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Congrats! Just shoes how anyone can go from noob to awesome in HB.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Gratz man, sounds like you got a good thing going!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

Wow - that's great - congrats

Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats!!!

I got Best of Style (German Hefe Weizen) and Best of Show when I entered my first contest (?). It beat out over 100 other brews.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Congrats! I have brewed that kit too. Very good beer.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

WADAGO! Congrats! I bet it is a tasty brew!