Proper pint glass care - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Proper pint glass care

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,326
Liked 279 Times on 227 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
The key is to avoid using rinse agents. Ideally, you should wash them by hand. Frankly, though, I find that to be a pain in the tuckus, so I just stick them in the dishwasher. Use a mild detergent.
So what do you concider a "mild detergent"?


__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Black IPA
Bottled conditioning:
Bottled conditioning Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Largering in refer: Oktoberfest

.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Scranton
Posts: 1,002
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts


Ivory is good. Dawn works well. As noted above, the real key is rinsing. Whatever you wash them with, rinse really well.


__________________
Brody's Brew House
Primary: Rye Saison
Seconary: Imperial Stout
Kegged: Pale Ale
In the fridge: Genesee IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
TexasSpartan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 741
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You know what works great? Every once in a while, do a "saltwater scrub" on your glasses. Just moisten the glass, and sprinkle on some table salt. Scrub well, with your hand, and then rinse well with clear water. It makes such a huge difference, and gets the class "bar clean".
I'm going to try this sometime.

As far as washing my pint glasses, I just wash them whenever I do the rest of the dishes with dish soap. I guess my only thing is I always wash them first, while the water is still "clean".
__________________
Dead Felon Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,670
Liked 6633 Times on 3920 Posts


I get super lacing from my beers. Crazy lacing. Everything gets washed in the dishwasher with rinsing agent.

Two things that make a big difference (I know this for fact; I've done a lot of "scientific method" testing under the supervision of my wife). 1) water softener 2) commercial diswhwasher detergent.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bad67z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,878
Liked 110 Times on 77 Posts


I try to never use soap or run my beer glasses thru the dishwasher. I wash them in the same manner as Yooper mentioned. If you want to test your method of cleaning and see if you have any head killing residue you can also use salt on a moistened glass and it will show you the surface condition.

Attachment 87506

Attachment 87507
Click image for larger version

Name:	poorly cleaned glass.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	87516   Click image for larger version

Name:	properly cleaned glass.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	87517  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,670
Liked 6633 Times on 3920 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
I try to never use soap or run my beer glasses thru the dishwasher. I wash them in the same manner as Yooper mentioned. If you want to test your method of cleaning and see if you have any head killing residue you can also use salt on a moistened glass and it will show you the surface condition.
Sorry, what do those pictures indicate?
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bad67z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,878
Liked 110 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Sorry, what do those pictures indicate?
My apologies, I did not explain that at all. Take a wet glass, add a couple of teaspoon of table salt to the inside of the glass, tilt and then rotate. Make sure the salt comes in contact with the entire interior surface.

Pictures:
Notice the even distribution on one and not the other. The uneven salt layer shows the scale or film on the glass that will kill head and in turn give you uneven or no lacing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,326
Liked 279 Times on 227 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
Ivory is good. Dawn works well. As noted above, the real key is rinsing. Whatever you wash them with, rinse really well.
We have been using Cascade. Maybe that's not "mild" as my beer glass mugs are cloudy now.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Black IPA
Bottled conditioning:
Bottled conditioning Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Largering in refer: Oktoberfest

.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,577
Liked 619 Times on 542 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
My apologies, I did not explain that at all. Take a wet glass, add a couple of teaspoon of table salt to the inside of the glass, tilt and then rotate. Make sure the salt comes in contact with the entire interior surface.

Pictures:
Notice the even distribution on one and not the other. The uneven salt layer shows the scale or film on the glass that will kill head and in turn give you uneven or no lacing.
You are going to have to explain what is going on. If all surfaces are wet, then all surfaces should be equally likely to have salt deposited on them. Maybe you just ran out of salt when doing the uneven side.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,670
Liked 6633 Times on 3920 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
You are going to have to explain what is going on. If all surfaces are wet, then all surfaces should be equally likely to have salt deposited on them. Maybe you just ran out of salt when doing the uneven side.
Maybe the idea is that some parts of the glass won't be wet due some "problem". So then those areas won't hold salt. I'm suspect of the test myself, but I have seen others do it in the past.


__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Pint Glass Etching Huey DIY Projects 95 08-25-2014 01:50 PM
Batch #1 in the pint glass! codyjp Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 07-18-2011 05:34 PM
HBT Pint Glass SCARYLARRY General Beer Discussion 1 01-16-2009 04:01 PM


Forum Jump