Truisms Too Obvious to Mention... until now of course... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Truisms Too Obvious to Mention... until now of course...

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2176 Times on 1366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Was that because of the particular cuts he was eating?
not sure what cuts he preferred.

Quote:
"if it's a GREAT steak, leave it alone!". If it's got enough fat, it shouldn't need the butter.
I'll agree

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

Fair enough. Many pricey cuts arent marbled at all (I'm looking at you filet) so they demand a little extra barding.

Here's another rule to live by. Steak is a superior food to a hamburger. Is there ever a day that I would rather have a burger over a steak? Sure all the time. But steak wins that fight.

If you grind an expensive steak to make hamburger... you're basically having your gold metal bronzed.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Oh, and grilled or fried plantains are awesome, as is grilled pineapple when served with teriyaki anything.
might make an exception for fried plantains. the ex was Cuban (ella llamo La Reina de las Vacas) and her mom would make some awesome double-fried plantains

but cooked pineapple is an abomination

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
[SIZE="6"]

#3 – it’s Carolina-style for pulled pork, Texas for brisket, Memphis for chicken and Kansas City for ribs
This is, word-for-word, the answer to the question I pondered earlier. We had a good BBQ restaurant open up near me, and, growing up in New England, I unfortunately don't know my BBQ the way I'd like to. The restaurant has a four different sauces, and I have no idea is "supposed" to go with what. I recently had the brisket with the carolina mustard sauce. It was delicious, but couldn't help thinking about what sauce was best. Could something have been better?

Just checked. They have Louisiana Hot, Carolina Mustard, Kansas City Sweet and Memphis Vinegar.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
Grog’s Rules for Food (which can count as truisms)
#7 – if you’re eating at a restaurant, you can complain about any problems with your food &/or service, but NEVER EVER send YOUR FOOD back to the kitchen
I'm sorry, this one is dumb. I've only sent food back maybe once that I can recall, but why wouldn't you (assuming it was a problem with how the food was cooked)? If the food's not acceptable, why shouldn't you get it fixed? If you ask for a steak medium-rate and you get "burnt" (or vice-versa), that's a problem that the kitchen needs to be aware of.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
#10 is completely wrong.

What's the best way to serve a nice steak? Rare/medium-rare, with nothing but a little salt and pepper. Unless you count "cow blood" as a "sauce," keep it simple, dammit!
Again, this is obviously correct. Count this in the "If you need ketchup/A1/mushroom sauce/etc., you're doing it wrong" category.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA

Quote:
I'm sorry, this one is dumb. I've only sent food back maybe once that I can recall, but why wouldn't you (assuming it was a problem with how the food was cooked)? If the food's not acceptable, why shouldn't you get it fixed? If you ask for a steak medium-rate and you get "burnt" (or vice-versa), that's a problem that the kitchen needs to be aware of.
they will be made aware of any problem, it will be comped off the check and I may not eat it, but I will not send it back to be "fixed"

have you seen
?

watch the whole thing, but pay particular attention to 1:17 to 1:40

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Liked 2512 Times on 1770 Posts

Ever seen Fight Club? remember the quote "He was the guerilla terrorist of the food industry" Its just not worth it to anger those who handle your food.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Well, you don't have to be a dink about it. If I'm hungry, though, I don't really WANT to have the $20 taken off my bill, I want to eat!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

It's true, but be aware of the consequences...I think this rule is waived if you are at the place often enough to know people who work there, or if the setup is such that you can say something directly to the cook (like an open kitchen layout), so he can see you're not a douche. Otherwise, even if you're super polite to the waiter, you can't guarantee that that's going to get translated back to the overworked, harried cook staff in the back. And God help you if the guy (or gal) is just having a bad day...
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Closed Thread