Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Strawberry and blueberry melomels - interupting fermentation

Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Hi,

So just an update and an additional question....

So I added the fruit halfway during primary fermentation...the gravity was around 1.05. I split the batch into 2-3 gallon carboys and added 5kg of strawberries in one and 4 kg of blueberries in another. Fermentation really took off and dropped down to 1.01-1.00 over 2 weeks.

I've moved both carboys to secondary as the fruit looked pretty destroyed and I'm vacationing in a couple days.

Unfortunately the fruit only sat in fermentation for about 2 weeks...due to the fact that it was added in halfway thru fermentation. Is this going to cause the fruit flavour to be really weak? Time is def not on my side for these batches!!

ErinRae
I think it should be fine, that should be plenty of time. Imagine steeping tea for 2 weeks...

If the fruit is looking used up, that should be a good indication that you'll have plenty of flavor transferred over. However the true test will be when you taste it.

Good luck

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Another thing, if you find that there isn't enough flavour for you, you can always add more later. This will make the fermentation take longer, but part of brewing is patients. Never try to rush a mead, give it time...

If you plan on carbing, you can use strawberry/blueberry juice to do so. If you have s juicer at home, it is a great way to add your flavours. I prefer juiced strawberries in my brews because it reduces the strawberry pulp i have to deal with at taking time. Fermented whole strawberries make a real mess (as I'm sure you've noticed).