Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brett Infected Black IPA?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brett Infected Black IPA?

So a few weeks ago I brewed a Brett C porter. I cleaned and sanitized everything like I usually do, including leaving my thief and syphon in a StarSan solution for a few days because I was too lazy to deal with it for a while. Last Sunday I brewed a Black IPA (using the same syphon and thief). It started out great. Fermentation took right off and my basement smelled fantastic. This morning I pulled a sample and, while it still tastes good, it smells quite bad. How do I know if it's Brett infected? I'm supposed to dry hop next weekend, should I just postpone that and hope the aroma improves? I should also note that the smell here is absolutely nothing like the porter, which is actually very tropical and fruity. The Black IPA is more like feet.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 234

I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.
Thanks, I hope you're right! I'll let it sit for a while and see if I'm able to dry hop on schedule.