Automated volume sensing idea/help - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Automated volume sensing idea/help

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #41
MagooBrew
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
Stream does not (or should not) be seen by the sensor. I am more worried about debugging the sensor for the temp change and the nonreflective surface of the foam. Haven't gotten it yet...
I have used ultrasonic for many years for measuring levels of various materials. Most are not affected by dust or turbulance. I would think that foam would not be an issue but if your using it to measure level in HLT or MLT, foam shouldnt really be an issue. Im in the process of puting mine together with a Micrologix 1500 PLC and plan on using ultrasonic for the HLT. Plus this is just my 2.

Ty Webb

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #42
BenS
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagooBrew View Post

I have used ultrasonic for many years for measuring levels of various materials. Most are not affected by dust or turbulance. I would think that foam would not be an issue but if your using it to measure level in HLT or MLT, foam shouldnt really be an issue. Im in the process of puting mine together with a Micrologix 1500 PLC and plan on using ultrasonic for the HLT. Plus this is just my 2.
Nice. Micrologix! I know a professor who had one that wanted me to program it and build him an automated brewery. Unfortunately, at the time I knew nothing about that ladder logic programming language. Would love to have one of my own to play with.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #43
BenS
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNatural View Post

Pretty slick, but datasheet specs only rate it to 150F, so would probably fail in brewing conditions.
I highly doubt the stream over 12" above the liquid is 150F in an atmospheric pressure.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #44
alien
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts

Arduino ultrasonic volume measurement thingy:

http://www.jo3ri.be/arduino/blogduin...hasbeenupdated

Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
MrNatural
The Original, beware of imposters.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Elverta, CA
Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkling View Post
There are plenty of devices to measure level along an analog scale.

They are just very expensive.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/section...k=green&flag=1
Wondering if anyone has any experience with a proximity sensor strapped to siteglass?

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...google&cur=USD

Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #46
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Apr 2006
Castaic, CA
Liked 91 Times on 70 Posts

Sometimes I think this get over engineered when they can be very simple. I know you said no float switch but it doesn't need to be attached to the pot. I attached it to my sparge arm so the whole thing comes out in one piece and is not part of the pot.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #47
MrNatural
The Original, beware of imposters.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Elverta, CA
Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
Sometimes I think this get over engineered when they can be very simple. I know you said no float switch but it doesn't need to be attached to the pot. I attached it to my sparge arm so the whole thing comes out in one piece and is not part of the pot.

Slick setup, with simple elegance! I'm guessing the whole assembly is vertically adjustable for different batch sizes? Do you have a source/price you can share?

Still interested in a way to set sparge volume, what is the range of sensing with that float?

Thanks, Dale

Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #48
dogwater
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNatural View Post
... Do you have a source/price you can share?

Still interested in a way to set sparge volume, what is the range of sensing with that float?
eBay, search "Stainless Float Switch". There's plenty of different lengths, mounting options. I have a few of them for my rig, they were about $8 each.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
craigmw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Villa Park, CA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Interesting ideas here! For those of you using pressure sensors (like with the Brewtroller), do you use this on a MLT? If so, wouldn't the suction from the pump during recirculation lead to inaccuracies during recirculation?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #50
JKoravos
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Chelmsford, MA
Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer Gerard View Post
It's just that i've done a very modest bit of research on this and i found even with far more sophisticated sensors there is a degree of tuning required based on the environment in question. That's not to say this approach can't work.

How about this thread be used to motivate us to be he first to find an actual practical use for this HC-SR04 module. Winner can prove that the module measures accurately enough to automatically deliver a specified volume of strike water to a mash tun. This means the system has to stop the HLT being filled at the desired volume, hit the desired strike temp and subsequently stop the pump to the mash tun when enough strike water has been transferred.

In case any one thinks i have a head start i still don't have power/water in my brewery

Has anyone done it yet? I might embark on this mission as my first foray into Arduino programming. I'd hate to just replicate something that's already been done.