Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do big breweries mainly create lagers?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #101
filmman03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Well, don't be a douchebag then, by implying other people are too stupid to know about advertising or are too stupid to know what they want/like.
not saying that ppl are too stupid to read between the lines or too stupid to know what they want/like.

why is it that these ppl actually buy this kind of beer though? taste? price? advertising? i think its all 3 but the price being the most significant that drives the masses to buy this kind of beer.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #102
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What's the answer other than they like it?

Do you repetitively buy anything you don't like just because it's cheap or your saw it on TV?

There are cheap things I buy, but I buy that stuff because I like it, not just because it's cheap.

No doubt there are some people that buy the cheapest beer possible just because the want to get loaded for the lowest buck possible, but that's not the majority of buyers of BMC (at least not the top brands, anyway) IMO.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #103
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Theres some people who genuinely enjoy the flavor of that type of beer dude, I don't know why you don't think that could be true. My girlfriend is partial to PBR believe it or not, but wont hesitate to bring home some SN or Atwater, or any other number of craft brew. I've been known to pick up a 6 pack of Miller once in a blue moon (no pun intended here). I have 4 PBRs in my fridge right now. They'll probably be there for a while but who knows? I may suddenly decide a PBR sounds good and snag one. It's all about personal preference.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #104
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
What's the answer other than they like it?

Do you repetitively buy anything you don't like just because it's cheap or your saw it on TV?
i personally don't do that b/c i'm neither in college nor am i struggling to make ends meet. but when i was first starting out in my career, not only did i just not buy beer b/c i couldn't afford IMO good beer, but i lived on $10 for 10 chimecangas. not b/c i liked them but b/c i can eat 2 per day for lunch and it will get me through a week of work and i only spent $10. also, i used to work in advertising for movie trailers and commercials, so i personally don't get sucked into commercials - which would explain why i am thinking the way i am.

as for college; ppl use cheap beer for beer pong or to buy a keg of beer. the may like the beer b/c of a variety of reasons, one being the price another b/c it is easy to drink and maybe b/c it tastes good to them. playing beer pong w/ a heavy beer or dark beer isn't easy that's why it is optimum to have light cheap beer to play with.

if someone doesn't have the finances to purchase the top of the line beer, even MHL, i think they'd buy whatever they can for as little amount of money as possible. not entirely for taste but for the price and for the ease of drinkability.

so yea; ppl do like BMC but i think they like it for the price and the easiness of drinking. and even if ppl don't like BMC but want beer or want to get drunk, price would probably be one of the first things on someone's mind.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #105
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
is it based solely on watching a commercial? do you really think that someone is going to head to the store as soon as they see a BMC commercial? probably not. its definitely b/c of the pricing.

if dogfish or pyramid among many other micros advertised like BMC does, i don't think they'd benefit from it b/c prices on those are higher. take sam adams for example, they don't have some stupid flashy commercial or something funny to show to advertise their products, they just show jim talking about his beers and tasting them. are their sales up b/c of that? probably not b/c they are a bit more pricey than BMC still. but just seeing the colors of their brews makes me wanna buy it lol mmmm cherrywheat.
You're right. Those advertising executives don't have a clue what they're talking about, and Budweiser just throws millions of dollars a year away on commercials. It has absolutely no influence on purchasing whatsoever.

It's subliminal. A funny commercial, or catchy jingle gets stuck in your head. You don't run out the door right now and buy a 6er of Bud Light, but the next time you're in the store.... Hey... y'know, some Bud Light kinda sounds like a pretty good idea right now...

And the price idea is pure BS. If that were the true deciding factor, we'd see people buying plain white cans with "BEER" in big block letters on the side. Or, of the brands you see on *most* shelves, people would be buying Keystone and Natty Lite.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #106
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I believe the biggest selling beer in the world is a Chinese lager thats close to Bud. I don't think you can even get it in the US.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #107
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
Theres some people who genuinely enjoy the flavor of that type of beer dude, I don't know why you don't think that could be true. My girlfriend is partial to PBR believe it or not, but wont hesitate to bring home some SN or Atwater, or any other number of craft brew. I've been known to pick up a 6 pack of Miller once in a blue moon (no pun intended here). I have 4 PBRs in my fridge right now. They'll probably be there for a while but who knows? I may suddenly decide a PBR sounds good and snag one. It's all about personal preference.
i completely understand ppl genuinely enjoy the flavor of BMC, but have those ppl who drink that on a regular basis, whether for flavor or pleasure or price, actually have ventured out and tried many craft brews? that's what i love about homebrewing and microbrews; ppl are doing their own thing and exploring new ideas and discovering amazing flavors which has made for a unique blend of beer drinkers. my goal as a new homebrewer is to really open the eyes of some of my friends who are hardcore about BMC and show them that there is so much more to beer.

f*** calories!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #108
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
not saying that ppl are too stupid to read between the lines or too stupid to know what they want/like.

why is it that these ppl actually buy this kind of beer though? taste? price? advertising? i think its all 3 but the price being the most significant that drives the masses to buy this kind of beer.
As has been said, and you seem to really have a problem grasping,

PEOPLE LIKE IT. End of story. None (as in zero) of my friends are financially in a position where they have to buy the 'cheap' stuff. But you want to know how many craft brews they've bought in the past year (this is all of them combined)? Zero. Nada. Zip. Zilch. N.O.N.E. Why? Because they like the beer they drink. One drinks bud light, one drinks coors heavy, one drinks bud heavy.... you get the picture. It's not that they CAN'T afford a "better" (as you seem to insist) beer; it's that they don't see any reason to change from what they like.

To use a non-beer comparison (in the hopes of getting you off your "BMC sucks b/c it's cheaper than everything else" kick): Take two of my ex-girlfriends. I could drive them to the NICEST restaurant within 100 miles of home. Sit them down at a table with them knowing full well that I was picking up the check for the night. The place could have the best steaks this side of the Missouri, or lobster to die for -- and the waitress wouldn't need to give them a menu. I could just as well order for them. They were having the chicken strips. It didn't matter that so-called top-notch cuisine was available to them AT NO COST; they wanted chicken strips and that's what they ordered. Would it be right for me to chastise them for ordering something so 'simple'?
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #109
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post
To use a non-beer comparison (in the hopes of getting you off your "BMC sucks b/c it's cheaper than everything else" kick): Take two of my ex-girlfriends. I could drive them to the NICEST restaurant within 100 miles of home. Sit them down at a table with them knowing full well that I was picking up the check for the night. The place could have the best steaks this side of the Missouri, or lobster to die for -- and the waitress wouldn't need to give them a menu. I could just as well order for them. They were having the chicken strips. It didn't matter that so-called top-notch cuisine was available to them AT NO COST; they wanted chicken strips and that's what they ordered. Would it be right for me to chastise them for ordering something so 'simple'?
Great analogy, thanks for sharing that.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #110
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

good analogy but chicken strips all taste the same (w/ minor differences) and are priced probably the same right - just like BMC. i'd let this entirely thing go if there was a way to determine a difference in more expensive chicken strips vs going to a restaurant that is known for amazing steak or lobster.

how about taking your average steakhouse that is affordable and decent tasting and comparing it to say a Morton's steakhouse where the prices are astronomical but the steaks are f-ing amazing.

i guess i am blind to understanding BMC's dominance.