Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Help woth serving line diameter and length

Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is what I was told to purchase from a friend here on HBT. I was going to do the 3/16" route but I was told to get 1/4". I figured he knew more than myself. Besides spending a little more and taking up room, what will I regret? Will it not work correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't understand why you would go with 1/4" ID. Even if the calculations were correct, you'd be able to get away with much shorter lines in 3/16. You're going to regret the 1/4" decision no matter what, unfortunately.

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3372 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBrew View Post
This is what I was told to purchase from a friend here on HBT. I was going to do the 3/16" route but I was told to get 1/4". I figured he knew more than myself. Besides spending a little more and taking up room, what will I regret? Will it not work correctly?
It will hold way more beer in the lines, which will exacerbate any issues with the lines. Issues like warming in the tower, temperature stratification inside the fridge, or flavor taint from the vinyl will be ~4 times worse. That's in addition to needing 3.5 times longer line that's also thicker, stiffer, and harder to keep tucked out of the way.

And as mentioned above, many people need longer lines than what the calculators figure since they're based on flawed assumptions, so if that's the case then you'll need even longer lines, and any issues will be that much worse.

If you don't have any of those problems, then it should work fine. You'll just have way more line than necessary making a tangled mess in your fridge.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
Brewerforlife Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

[QUOTE=Bobby_M;4659472]I don't understand why you would go with 1/4" ID. Even if the calculations were correct, you'd be able to get away with much shorter lines in 3/16. You're going to regret the 1/4" decision no matter what, unfortunately.[/QUOhave. 12 feet of 1/4" is not working as well as I expected. Its pouring a toTE]

Ya, I currently hate the lines that I n of foam. I'm going to give it a chance though. My beer hasn't even been in the keg for a week and the carbonation isn't quite there. I may switch to around 10 feet of 3/16". I don't want to have to turn the pressure down every time I want a beer.

Finished it on Saturday:

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)