Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Under hopped wort after boil

Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
WesP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Under hopped wort after boil

I've made a mistake!

I brewed a Kolsch today and accidentally used half as many bittering hops as I was supposed to during the boil. Once I moved the wort to the fermenter, I reviewed my brewing notes and discovered the hop issue.

I'm pitching my yeast tomorrow so i'm wondering if there is anything that I could do to fix this. I'm sitting at around 10 IBU's and I need to be around 20-30 to be within range for the style.

Could I make a hop tea on the stove and add it to the fermenter before I pitch? It would be boiled and cooled before being added to the wort.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That is one way. Another is to boil some hops in a DME mix with 1.040 gravity for about an hour, cool and add to your carboy. How much volume you will need for that is beyond me.

A tea of water and hops would work, it just wouldn't be as bitter (someone may need to second this opinion) and would dilute your kolsch.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you haven't added the yeast yet, just re-boil a gallon or two with a little water added to account for evaporation and hop it up.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
WesP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got some hop tea boiling right now