Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BAD BEER WARNING: Henry Weinhards IPA

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
Just to clarify: Henry Weinhard's is not one of the new "fake craft" brands. It was brewed in downtown Portland for decades until they sold out; sounds like now that they're owned by Miller, Henry's is showing up east of the Rockies as a new brand for some of you guys.
Decades?? 1860's or 1870's when he started.
Very old brand of beer and a northwest icon up until modern times.

All the old Northwest beers are bought up or gone now.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
nmfree
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
Just to clarify: Henry Weinhard's is not one of the new "fake craft" brands. It was brewed in downtown Portland for decades until they sold out; sounds like now that they're owned by Miller, Henry's is showing up east of the Rockies as a new brand for some of you guys.
I bought a sixer this past summer when it was introduced at $4.99 here in Northeast Wisconsin; the beer was pretty unremarkable, and like GoldMiner, I was more annoyed at the twist-off bottles that I couldn't reuse.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #33
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
Decades?? 1860's or 1870's when he started.
Very old brand of beer and a northwest icon up until modern times.

All the old Northwest beers are bought up or gone now.
True - 1856, to be precise. Even after Miller bought the brand and closed the downtown brewery, I could take comfort that it was still brewed in Oregon by Full Sail (after a brief period where it moved to the old Olympia brewery). Now that it's moving to Wisconsin or wherever...what's the point? Why even keep a brand that has no connection to any history or purpose anymore? As evidenced by this thread, the name certainly doesn't have any meaning to the "national" audience they're trying to bring it to; but nobody in the Northwest cares anymore either.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #34
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

It will probably go the way of most of the other Northwest brews.
heidelberg. I don't think it's made any more.
Olympia. Still made, but not in the Northwest and although I can't drink the stuff, an older guy I know that's drank it exclusively for decades has just abandoned it. Says they changed it.
Rainier beer. Use to be Northwest only. Not brewed here anymore. I don't know if it's changed.
Lucky didn't originate in the Portland / Vancouver area, but it was there for decades. I don't know if it's still available in the Northwest even.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
Flsurfdog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
What buisness practice markets for being "cheap". Just because miller now produces and distributes it...?
Since AbInbev now sells and distributes bourbon county stout. Is it water-downed piss??
High Life basically markets itself as cheap. But that's not the point...they're marketing themselves as a small, premium brewery, and they're neither. Maybe the name is originally from Portland, but it's not made there anymore. So the beer I had really isn't a Portland beer, and not a micro/craft brew either. So like I said earlier. Bitter lies

Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It just went from $7.99 to $4.99 a six pack at my grocery store. It wasn't what I expected either. But I didn't dump it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I split a bottle of this last night with my neighbor. Not anything I'd buy, but it was drinkable.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #38
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

There's no way this can be more of a misrepresentation of the style than Alexander Keiths IPA. A friend of mine made the mistake of buying a 6 pack of this when we were in Vancouver a few years ago. He drank (part of) one, forced me to drink (part of) one to see my reaction, and the rest were left in the hotel room. So I feel your pain, its really annoying to to spend money on something that says IPA to get anything but.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alexand...pale-ale/1518/