Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > keggle question
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default keggle question

No this is not a thread to talk about the morality of aquireing kegs.

This is a material question. I recentlly got started on modifying a keg that may or may not have been carried by clydesdales in the past. Ithink that it is made of alluminum, but I'm not that good with materials. I thaught that most comercial kegs were made of SS. How do I know if it's one or the other? Also, if it is alluminum, will all the BTU's I'm going to put on it effect it?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Drinking: Apfelwine
Bottle conditioning:
Secondary: Double Chocolate Stout
Primary #1: AHS imperial Amber
Primary #2:
planning: always more apfelwine, time to get some summer beer going!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When and if you started modifying your keg did you notice any sparks flying off. This is a surefire indication of you having a stainless keg. If you have no sparks then you an aluminum keg aka: non ferrous metal.

By the way, aluminum will stand up to the heat of a banjo cooker type burner. Hence why some brewers use a turkey fryer kit.