Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using candy in beer

Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
bigadam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Using candy in beer

Has anyone ever tried using ground up simple candies (Pez, smarties, any other basic "compressed sugar" kind of candies) in place of regular sugar when bottling? As a Pez collector and home brewer, I was trying to think of a way to combine the two. I didn't really think adding the candies to the wort would be a good idea, but I thought maybe using the ground candies in the bottling solution could impart both the sugar needed and the flavor of the candies into the beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

people have done all sorts of stuff with candies, in bottling, in the boil....People regularly make schnapps type drinks with them as well. People have used hard mint candies in chocolate stouts, tootsie rolls, life savers, lemon candies- anything you can think of. If it's sugar, and it can be broken down, it's been used.

Working with candies, of ALL types is quite common.

The best thing to do is to melt those things down first, it makes it easier for the yeast to get to them. Usually a double boiler is the best thing for that. Then you can add them to the boil, or to the bottling bucket.

The biggest thing, if bottling, is to figure out EXACTLY how much sugar is in there, so you don't over and under prime whatever you are doing. You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars including mollasses in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I even talk about candy in there.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I could see using hop candy to prime for bottle carbonating.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I could see using hop candy to prime for bottle carbonating.
I should send you some. I think I still have a ton of it, when the guy who invented it sent me a fairly large box full....

It would be interesting to break them down (the one's I have are like jolly ranchers) in a double boiler and prime with them.

bigadam, the biggest concern is what fillers are in many candies, also the wax/laquer content, that is usually added to the outside of candies to make the shiny (another benefit from breaking them down in a double boiler is you can skim any wax or laquer from the top of the liquid.)

Gel candies like MIKE and IKES, or Gummies, may not be all that usable if they use a lot of gums and other things in the processing of them.

So it's often better to stick to hard candies.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
bigadam
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to mess around with melting some down tonight to see how much I'd have to skim off this weekend when I'm brewing. I'd actually be interested to see what the flavors would add to the overall end product. I'm thinking of making a light lager with either lemon or orange candies to see if that flavor is detectable in the end.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigadam View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to mess around with melting some down tonight to see how much I'd have to skim off this weekend when I'm brewing. I'd actually be interested to see what the flavors would add to the overall end product. I'm thinking of making a light lager with either lemon or orange candies to see if that flavor is detectable in the end.
Use the candy in the bottles. Chances are, anything they might add will get blown out the airlock during fermentation.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A guy in my homebrew club makes a beer called electric lollipop... He used 3 lbs of dum-dum lollipops in his... Beer comes out tasting good. Different. But good.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
mkringii
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

we had a local pub brew a Double Bubble Gum DIPA ... OMG never thought i would be able to stop drinking it.. till we killed the keg i think he said he used 300 pieces in the 5 gal batch and was a complete experiment.
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 32

so Revvy, you say you know the guy who invented hop candy... any chance he shared the recipe?

I've got more than enough home grown hops for my brewing schedule and making home made caramel at this time of year is a tradition so it would be worth the time to test an experimental batch of Hoppy Ranchers.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Actually I don't know if he INVENTED hop candy, I think a lot of folks did it. He just was one of them to bring it to market. There is a recipe on here for hop flavored lollipops that a woman posted on here a couple years ago.