Just brewed my first non Mr. Beer batch.... Yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it should be fine sitting in a secondary with no CO2 keeping it from oxidizing? Im tempted to bottle on Sunday which would be 2 weeks. I have a India Black Ale that I brewed on Sunday thats sitting in another primary.

Your beer still has CO2 dissolved in it and when you transfer it (disturb it) there will be some CO2 released to protect your beer. Since CO2 is heavier than air it won't escape and will make a blanket over the surface of your beer.

Ok so i took a reading and Im at 1.010. FG is supposed to be 1.012 to 1.015. I have a little bit of time still i guess. I did try it and it was pretty tasty. Now that I look at it, it looks to be about where it needs to be. It is still pretty cloudy though. Will bottle conditioning take care of this?

reading.jpg

So gravity is at 1.012? right now. Im guessing its time to bottle ... It actually looks about the same as it did 2 days ago. I think I just read it wrong.

yes, from your picture it looked like it would have been about 1.012 at that time. Try floating the hydrometer in the middle of the tube, it will be easier to read.

When fermentation first starts it changes very fast, hour to hour. Towards the end it slows to a crawl, thats why it's recommended to take two measurements several days apart. Remember also that it wont hurt, and can help, to leave it be for a while longer even after you are convinced fermentation is done. All the technical aspects aside, patients remains the hardest part of brewing.......

It is still pretty cloudy though. Will bottle conditioning take care of this?

reading.jpg

Most of the batches I've made had a similar haziness going into the bottle, always prefer to have plenty yeast in there to help with the next phase so not hyper paranoid about clarity at that point, but after three weeks of carbonation/conditioning and a few days in the fridge they pretty much all came out Crystal clear. That one looks like it will be clear as a bell by the time it's ready for drinking.:mug:

Im all bottled up right now. That wasnt as bad as I thought. I was only able to get 4.5 gallons though. There was to much crap at the bottom. Next time Ill be sure to add a little more water to compensate. I got 4 cases and a 22 oz bottle out of it. and there was enough left for about 8 oz to sample once more. Now its time for clean up...

:mug:

bottled.jpg

Thank for all the help. Now I have a problem. I need to rearrange my pantry so I can do three batches at once. The India Black Ale I have is about a week away from going into the secondary and Ill 2 extra carboys. I think Ill drink 50 beers then brew another batch so Ill have a steady flow of home brew and eliminate the need to go to the booze store once a week. I kinda want to do a Zombie Dust clone next. Or maybe a cider.

So this batch has an odd taste. I cant quite place it though. My buddy was like its an American Pale right. I have had a case of it so far. This first case was put into the fridge at the 10 day bottle mark. The second case was put in at the two week mark. I drank the whole first case by myself and thought it was good. The second is kinda odd... I dont know if its just yeast that Im tasting or what. I have the other two cases sitting in my garage right now (60 degrees) I let those sit till Im done with this one. Im hoping it juts needs to be bottle conditioned more

3 weeks is the minimum time you'd want to give your beer to condition at room temp. I have given mine that until recently when I've had some taste a bit different a week later.

As a matter of fact I have added a week to both my fermentation time, as well as to my conditioning time. And I try to add a little time to fridge time as well, from 3 to 7 days.

For blondes and wheats, if I don't add honey a week after fermentation began, I give now 3 weeks, standard ales I now give 4 weeks, and IPA's I give 5 weeks. And all of them now get 4 weeks conditioning.

I typically try to leave the bulk of the yeast behind. It changes the taste, which isn't necessarily bad, but different. And I have a problem with things floating around in there, unless it's a wheat where I can't see it.

When I transferred, I left it about an inch off the bottom then slowly moved down till it started sucking up the junk on the bottom. Then I bottled. Most of the crap didn't get in the beer. I'll let these other bottles go a bit longer then. I'm going to brew another batch in two weeks. Hopefully this will clear up by then. I'll have my India black ale to drink at that time. Then apfelwein that'll need to get bottled as well. I've been bit pretty bad by the brewing bug. If I had more space I could easily have 4 batches going at a time. My wife was already complaining how bad the pantry smelled after 2 batches of beer and apfelwein farts. I think I'd have to find a new place to live if I had 4 batches going at once.

Nah. She'll get used to it. Keep on keeping on.
I meant the sediment in the bottle. Sorry.

I finished the last bottle about a week ago... It was much better. I just needed more time bottle conditioning im guessing. Im on my third batch of beer now

I figure allowing it to sit a little while longer only helps if you can wait.
And so I now give 4 weeks conditioning for most brews and 1 week in the fridge. Also give most 4 weeks fermentation time.
And I just found how true the saying that time heals bad beer to be very true.
I had a honey blonde that the gravity was way too high on so I watered it down without considering it would change my IBU's which were quite low (15), and so it was too sweet.
And a honey wheat that I added too much honey to (3 3/4 lbs) which made it thin and weird.
Both are fairly good now. I was considering dumping them as they just weren't good enough to kick back and drink. Glad I hung on to them!

Back