Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch...complete and tasted. Thoughts.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
HD3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default First Batch...complete and tasted. Thoughts.

So this weekend it happened...I got to try the beer from my first batch. I am a little indifferent about it...because of the following reasons.

1. It is an Irish Red which came with the kit. I am not a huge Irish Red fan as it reminds me of Killians Irish Red.
2. It reminds me of Killians Irish Red. ha.
3. It was a little lower on carbonation which isn't a huge deal but was expecting a little more head. I can pour the beer straight up and down and I get the desired 1-1.5 inches of head.
4. It smells a little like old beer (you know the smell when you walk into a place that just smells like beer is on the floor).
5. It really is lacking some complexity. A little sweet at the finish. It is super easy to drink ( I can drink one down in about 2 minutes) and my wife said "it is a little watery". Thanks for the thumbs up is what I said.
6. I wasn't able to get a good rolling boil (did it on my stove with a 15 gallon SS megapot) so my wort might have not been the greatest.
7. Super low visible fermentation activity (2 days of active signs) and then it was done.
8. No sediment at the bottom of the bottles like I was expecting, which is fine with me but was expecting the sediment.
9. FG was 1.01

The good...
1. It was my first homebrew and I am super excited to get started on the next one.
2. I think I have learned tons since my first brew day which will help with my process (i.e. boiling, hops, etc.).
3. It is not bad and can easily get through the 2 cases.
4. AHA forum was a huge help to me and I thank you all.

So, overall not a bad brew but by far not my favorite. Practice will help me and I am excited to brew the next batch.

Thanks for letting me share.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

My first batch was also mediocre, but my friends loved it. It also got much better with some age.

May I suggest that your next batch be a type of beer you like, or even better, a clone of a beer you love. You get to see how you compare, and it's a beer you know you will want to drink.
My favorite I do so far is a noble pils clone, I actually like mine slightly better!

Just google clone recipes if you can't find a kit, the process is still the same, but you put the ingredients together yourself.

HD3 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
HD3
Recipes 

For sure. Next batch is going to be an IPA.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD3 View Post
For sure. Next batch is going to be an IPA.

Thanks for the reply!
I think a hoppy beer is a good one for a beginner. The hops tend to cover up mistakes in the process that may have been off flavors without the hop cover up. This will help you brew good drinkable beers while you master the process. Process has almost as much to do with the quality of your beer as ingredient choice!
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale
HD3 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3024 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

Tasted like killians...there's your 1st problem,you didn't have a slab of ribs with it! I love killians with pit bbq'd ribs. Plus your boil being less than opitmum was the next problem. Taste would def suffer. How much wort in that 15G BK? A stove isn't good for full boils.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
HD3
Recipes 

Yeah I'm working on my process and building my equipment. It was about 3 gallons of wort in a 15 gallon. Way too big but wanted to get a kettle that could do 10 gallons as I see myself moving that direction.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
awiens
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Definitely agree with brewing beers you love. I've been caught up brewing seasonal ales for friends and I have no interest in drinking them! Next up is a chocolate stout for me! I've also been told by my LHBS that dark beers tend to be easier for beginners. I'd also recommend having your local brew store help you build a kit/recipe. It's helpful to see how everything comes together, as opposed to just getting it in one box. IMO. Happy brewing!