Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No activity after 24 hours - advice please

Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
robertandrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No activity after 24 hours - advice please

Hi,
On Sunday afternoon, I made a seasonal concoction comprising...
2.5Kgs cr
  • ushed pale malt
  • 750g crushed crystal malt
  • 350g (crushed?) chocolate malt
  • 500g extra-dark s
pray malt powder
  • 60g northern brewer hops
  • 3 cinnamon
  • ground nutmeg
  • ground ginger
  • a chilli
  • 30g cascade hops

There is 17 litres of brew. I let it cool in an ice bath and shook up the plastic fermenter for five minutes before adding just left than half a pack of Safale S-04 dried ale yeast.

I had been anxious to get a new pack of yeast for this brew. The pack was left over from a recent brew about 2/3 months ago, quite well sealed, but was just less than half, since my ambitious mate poured just more than half in to the predecessor.

Now it's been a day since the fermenter was closed and there is no airlock activity.

What's going on?
  • What I could say is that it's pretty cold here in the house this winter if I'm not indoors by day with the heating on.
  • More than that, I was concerned that I hadn't used enough yeast.

Any validity to either of these concerns? Is something else the matter?

Could/should I buy a new pack of the same yeast and add that? Is that something you can do at this point?

Many thanks.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

It's too soon to even begin to worry...after 72 hours take a grav reading and come back and say "You were right guys, thanks!!"

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
boscobeans Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Yep. Until you get to 72 hours, don't worry a bit. You may have underpitched the yeast a bit... though if you had haf a pack of dry yeast, you are still golden.

Regardless, I'm betting you get activity before terribly long.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

This happened to me recently on the last 2 batches I did. One took almost 18 hours to start fermenting and another took roughly 28 hours. Try using a starter next time so you won't have to worry or be anxious. Everything will be fine, just listen to Revvy.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
robertandrews
Recipes 

Airlock activity discovered this morning (36 hours), though no big krausen.
Any consequences from using the slightly less than half a pack instead of the half a pack I wanted to use? Under-fermented - lower ABV?
Is it feasible/desirable to add more yeast, even if activity has started?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandrews View Post
Airlock activity discovered this morning (36 hours), though no big krausen.
Any consequences from using the slightly less than half a pack instead of the half a pack I wanted to use? Under-fermented - lower ABV?
Is it feasible/desirable to add more yeast, even if activity has started?

Thanks!
I would wait to see if your gravity comes out where you want it. You can always add yeast at that point.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post
I would wait to see if your gravity comes out where you want it. You can always add yeast at that point.
One, a slight underpitch is not likely to affect the FG. The yeast, may be stressed during the fermentation and produce some off flavors, but they'll get the job done. Two, just adding yeast to an already mostly fermented beer won't get you anywhere. It's an inhospitable environment with all the alcohol. You could make a starter and pitch at high krausen. However, the OP needs to just RDWHAHB.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

One, a slight underpitch is not likely to affect the FG. The yeast, may be stressed during the fermentation and produce some off flavors, but they'll get the job done. Two, just adding yeast to an already mostly fermented beer won't get you anywhere. It's an inhospitable environment with all the alcohol. You could make a starter and pitch at high krausen. However, the OP needs to just RDWHAHB.
My point was to just relax. OP will probably get the needed results. But alcohol does not mean totally inhospitable to yeast. Especially if the abv is low. The other point is I don't think high krausen is entirely clear right now(which is what the OP indiacted in the previous post) or that there would be time to create a starter even if it was.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post
My point was to just relax. OP will probably get the needed results. But alcohol does not mean totally inhospitable to yeast. Especially if the abv is low. The other point is I don't think high krausen is entirely clear right now(which is what the OP indiacted in the previous post) or that there would be time to create a starter even if it was.
I just think people get all freaked out. Do I need to add more yeast? Do I need to do a yeast dance?! AHHHH!! The OP has activity. I'll bet you a beer it ends up fine.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
RIC0
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My imperial stout took 3 days to start fartin thru the airlock.

My recent spiced ale took 2 days.

No worries.

If the local home brew stores could sell us some patiance with our ingrediants they would be gazzillionaires.

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck
pabloj13 Likes This