Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Year-Aged Big Beers: Fermenter/Bottling Schedule?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Arrheinous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default Year-Aged Big Beers: Fermenter/Bottling Schedule?

I'm putting together an English bragot next Saturday. This will be my second AG recipe and highest ABV to date (expecting 10-11%). It's the recipe from Radical Brewing, with a bit of wormwood for bitterness/oldtiminess. Using liquid Wyeast 1986 English yeast.

The actual times recommended for storage is 8-12 months but I'm not sure how this is divided for high ABV beers: should I do a 1 month primary and then keep it in a glass secondary for 11 months and then bottle? Or do a standard but longer primary/secondary and then just keep it in bottles for a year?

I'll be 'dry hopping' with all the spices and herbs as well (pepper, ginger, etc.) so I'm not sure if that affects the scheduling. Seems to be a fine line between dispersing flavor and just rotting at the bottom of a carboy.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 251

I can't speak to your recipe, but I brewed an imperial nut brown ale at 8.66% ABV, and this is what I did:

Primary for ~4 weeks
Secondary for ~4 months
Bottle for ~3 months before trying the first one.

Incidentally... it was pretty good at 8 months, post brew, but the recipe told me it would be good at six months, great at nine, and amazing at a year. A bottle at a little over nine months was indeed better than the one at eight; I'm pretty much leaving it alone until I hit that year mark.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Arrheinous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Ha I actually just setup an imperial nut brown the other day so I'll use your advice for that as well. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Probably something like Homebrewdad's schedule. 1 month in primary, rack to secondary for 4-6 months, add fresh yeast and bottle condition/carb for the rest of the time.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew