Married not even a half-year... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Married not even a half-year...

Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 492 Times on 381 Posts

my tungeston ring broke after about 3 months.

just cracked in half. went with white gold after that.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 555 Times on 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
This is why I got Titanium.
I'm a big fan of Titanium...haha.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
cfonnes
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Utah
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

Platinum works for me. Though it sits at home in the gun safe, I cannot stand to wear jewelry. My wife knows that I am committed to her in my heart and that is good enough for her.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

My "theory" was that I would wear a heavy ring. Commitment is a heavy thing, and I want a constant reminder. If some pretty little thing has her hand on my knee and I'm thinking "well... maybe this once" I want a heavy freaking hunk of metal on my hand as a none-too-subtle reminder.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
Platinum works for me. Though it sits at home in the gun safe, I cannot stand to wear jewelry. My wife knows that I am committed to her in my heart and that is good enough for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
My "theory" was that I would wear a heavy ring. Commitment is a heavy thing, and I want a constant reminder. If some pretty little thing has her hand on my knee and I'm thinking "well... maybe this once" I want a heavy freaking hunk of metal on my hand as a none-too-subtle reminder.
Yea, I agree with the point of a ring is to wear to remind you of your commitment.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
brewswellwithothers
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Marietta, GA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I also have a tungsten ring and although cutting it off may be difficult without the right tools; I was told that if they need to get it off to get it cold or freeze it and smack it with a hammer and it will just shatter. Titanium won't do that, have to have something to cut it off.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewswellwithothers View Post
I also have a tungsten ring and although cutting it off may be difficult without the right tools; I was told that if they need to get it off to get it cold or freeze it and smack it with a hammer and it will just shatter. Titanium won't do that, have to have something to cut it off.
So if you "freeze" the ring on your finger...and then smash the ring with a sledge hammer...what happens to your finger?
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
brewswellwithothers
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Marietta, GA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Dunno, but I'm sure they could fix the swelling and any lacerations caused from breaking the ring once they had it off. Could mean the difference between having a scar and losing a finger, I'll take the scar.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
zilch
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Winnipeg
Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts

+1 for white gold.

Early in our marriage we lived in a condo 9 floors up. It was fall so I was cleaning up the balcony. I remember it was quite cold outside, my fingers were freezing, and I was wiping the top of the a/c unit with my hand. To my horror my ring flew off as I was wiping (a bit oversized I guess, and my fingers shrunk due to the cold), and I made a mad dash to the railing with superhuman speed.

I squinted and saw the ring from 9 floors up hit the ground and rolled towards the empty waterless pool.

I remember avoiding eye contact with my wife as I snuck downstairs to retrieve what was left of the ring...

Luckily the super let me into the pool area and I found the ring in the pool! I nearly twisted my ankle like an idiot jumping in the deep end, but the ring was fine - not a scratch!

True story.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
WesleyS
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 4216 Times on 2789 Posts

White gold here as well. Almost 9 years and still in one piece.
It does spend most of its time sitting in my truck or at the house since I don't wear it while working and because of that am in the habit of forgetting to put it on other times. But I know I'm married and committed, I don't need to have it on my hand to remind me of that.