Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Batch Fermenting!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
filmman03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First Batch Fermenting!!!!

Hey guys; been absent from the forums for a few weeks. Anyway; got my brew kit (black friday deal!) on friday and brewed my first batch yesterday. Been fermenting all day today... I'm doing the "Tiger Tank" Altbier

http://www.homebrewing.org/Tiger-Tan...ier_p_611.html

Anyway; my question is what do I do about the large amount of Krausen? It looks like it is about to go up the top of the better bottle plastic carboy and into the airlock.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Rig a blow-off tube, i.e. just run some vinyl tubing out the neck of the bottle and into a bucket of Star San (or something to keep anything nasty from getting in, though really it's probably not necessary while the fermentation is active, given how much CO2 is coming out). If the krausen gets up into the airlock, it can (potentially) clog it, resulting in pressure building up and blowing the top out, which in turn makes a terrible mess for you to clean up.

Bottled: Unnamed 100% Brett Cyser; Second Sun (Orange Guava Cider); First Blood (Wild Cherry Cider); JAOM; Unnamed Holiday Apfelwein.
Planned: Pliny clone. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr View Post
Rig a blow-off tube, i.e. just run some vinyl tubing out the neck of the bottle and into a bucket of Star San (or something to keep anything nasty from getting in, though really it's probably not necessary while the fermentation is active, given how much CO2 is coming out). If the krausen gets up into the airlock, it can (potentially) clog it, resulting in pressure building up and blowing the top out, which in turn makes a terrible mess for you to clean up.
gotcha. thanks for the tip

Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1140 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 591

While you are waiting for a store to open to get a blow off tube (assuming you don't already have one) you can remove the airlock, put the carboy into a tub to catch the krausen to minimize the cleanup, and slip a piece of saran wrap over the top held in place with a rubber band. Poke a small hole in the saran wrap for the CO2 to escape (and any krausen). If the krausen does go over it will spill down the carboy and into the tub so you will have to clean that mess up but it is easier than cleaning the ceiling and walls.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
While you are waiting for a store to open to get a blow off tube (assuming you don't already have one)
If you have 3/8" tubing for siphoning (which is almost a given?), it will fit into the bung hole perfectly. Wider tubing is better, since it's less likely to plug, but that will hold you over too.
Bottled: Unnamed 100% Brett Cyser; Second Sun (Orange Guava Cider); First Blood (Wild Cherry Cider); JAOM; Unnamed Holiday Apfelwein.
Planned: Pliny clone. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
diS
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Build a blow tube, and build it quick.

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

woke up this morning w/ a small amount of krausen in the airlock; wasn't clogged or anything but i rigged up this blow-off system thanks for all the advice guys!

o and i got to experience the smell... OMG! smells freaking amazing!!!