Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Berliner weisse questions

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I guess I need to pick up a copy of "Brewing With Wheat" then. I'm tempted to go the route of pitching lacto since I've never soured a beer before. It sounds like the sour mash plan is best left to summertime anyways when I can more easily keep it warm.

I found this recipe on Serious Eats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...sour-beer.html

It involves a decoction mash. I haven't heard any of you mention that yet, so what do we think about it? I'm not sure who the author is or what his brewing creds are, but his articles are fun to read. Looks like Serious Eats dropped the homebrew coverage a few months ago, though. Bummer.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I only have 1 BW under my belt and I did the 15 minute boil, low hopping and pitched a very big and heathly starter of WLP677 made with pasteurized apple juice kept in the 90s, that was on 9/20 and I haven't tasted it yet but has a nice pellicle going. The majority of fermentation happened in 3 days in the 90s as well and quite violent I might add.

Time will tell but I hope it works

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

i've read a few threads where people add uncrushed grain to the mash after the initial 60min period to introduce lacto - has anyone tried adding sourmalz/acidmalt to add a greater amount of lacto when doing a sour mash?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Saurmalz has lactic acid sprayed on to it. It doesn't have more lactobacillus. The key isn't adding a huge amount of lacto, but giving it the right environment to grow. Some strains of bacteria can double their numbers every 20 minutes.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
Saurmalz has lactic acid sprayed on to it. It doesn't have more lactobacillus. The key isn't adding a huge amount of lacto, but giving it the right environment to grow. Some strains of bacteria can double their numbers every 20 minutes.
Yep, what he said but also keep in mind lactos preferred temp is around 100, but certainly not 150ish where your mashing. To give them the best opportunity to thrive wait until the mash gets close to that range and try to maintain that for your preferred length of time.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
terrapinj
Recipes 

i thought the lactic acid was created by inoculating the malt with lactobacillus and letting it naturally create the lactic acid thus complying with the reinheitsgebot

i understand that the wort needs to cool to 100-120ish after the mash

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
i thought the lactic acid was created by inoculating the malt with lactobacillus and letting it naturally create the lactic acid thus complying with the reinheitsgebot

i understand that the wort needs to cool to 100-120ish after the mash
you are correct, grain has lactobacillus all over it but as far as the reinheitsgebot, I believe this would go back to before the 4th ingredient, they didn't know what the F was happening, only that it made beer and if they left it alone for a few days, it became sour and they liked it.

Now we are able to more precisely replicate the style with commercial cultures to get the specific lacto culture you want. Remember there is much more on grain that just lacto, do you want that "other" stuff?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
terrapinj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
you are correct, grain has lactobacillus all over it but as far as the reinheitsgebot, I believe this would go back to before the 4th ingredient, they didn't know what the F was happening, only that it made beer and if they left it alone for a few days, it became sour and they liked it.

Now we are able to more precisely replicate the style with commercial cultures to get the specific lacto culture you want. Remember there is much more on grain that just lacto, do you want that "other" stuff?
there are several threads/posts, including at least 1 i read in this thread that add uncrushed grain into the cooled mash or post boil to sour

i was just curious if using sauermalz would add any additional benefit to just using regular uncrushed grain since it presumably has a higher initial amount of lactobacillus

Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
there are several threads/posts, including at least 1 i read in this thread that add uncrushed grain into the cooled mash or post boil to sour

i was just curious if using sauermalz would add any additional benefit to just using regular uncrushed grain since it presumably has a higher initial amount of lactobacillus
Plain old malt has plenty of bacteria on it already.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 107

From what I understand, acidmalt has no more bacteria, but is sprayed with lactic acid. It can be used as a significant portion of the grain bill so that you get the sourness but don't have to bother with bugs or stability issues.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Fermenting: E Fitzgerald Porter, American Special Bitter, Light Lager (sorta between Helles and Vienna), Summer Session Saison
On Deck: White IPA, Tripel?, Pils? Hefe? Hoppy Brown?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking