Berliner weisse questions - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Berliner weisse questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Posts: 479
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts


I guess I need to pick up a copy of "Brewing With Wheat" then. I'm tempted to go the route of pitching lacto since I've never soured a beer before. It sounds like the sour mash plan is best left to summertime anyways when I can more easily keep it warm.

I found this recipe on Serious Eats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...sour-beer.html

It involves a decoction mash. I haven't heard any of you mention that yet, so what do we think about it? I'm not sure who the author is or what his brewing creds are, but his articles are fun to read. Looks like Serious Eats dropped the homebrew coverage a few months ago, though. Bummer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,535
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts


I only have 1 BW under my belt and I did the 15 minute boil, low hopping and pitched a very big and heathly starter of WLP677 made with pasteurized apple juice kept in the 90s, that was on 9/20 and I haven't tasted it yet but has a nice pellicle going. The majority of fermentation happened in 3 days in the 90s as well and quite violent I might add.

Time will tell but I hope it works

passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
terrapinj
 
terrapinj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,415
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


i've read a few threads where people add uncrushed grain to the mash after the initial 60min period to introduce lacto - has anyone tried adding sourmalz/acidmalt to add a greater amount of lacto when doing a sour mash?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
kingwood-kid
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
houston
Posts: 1,543
Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts


Saurmalz has lactic acid sprayed on to it. It doesn't have more lactobacillus. The key isn't adding a huge amount of lacto, but giving it the right environment to grow. Some strains of bacteria can double their numbers every 20 minutes.
__________________
Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,535
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
Saurmalz has lactic acid sprayed on to it. It doesn't have more lactobacillus. The key isn't adding a huge amount of lacto, but giving it the right environment to grow. Some strains of bacteria can double their numbers every 20 minutes.
Yep, what he said but also keep in mind lactos preferred temp is around 100, but certainly not 150ish where your mashing. To give them the best opportunity to thrive wait until the mash gets close to that range and try to maintain that for your preferred length of time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
terrapinj
 
terrapinj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,415
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


i thought the lactic acid was created by inoculating the malt with lactobacillus and letting it naturally create the lactic acid thus complying with the reinheitsgebot

i understand that the wort needs to cool to 100-120ish after the mash

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,535
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
i thought the lactic acid was created by inoculating the malt with lactobacillus and letting it naturally create the lactic acid thus complying with the reinheitsgebot

i understand that the wort needs to cool to 100-120ish after the mash
you are correct, grain has lactobacillus all over it but as far as the reinheitsgebot, I believe this would go back to before the 4th ingredient, they didn't know what the F was happening, only that it made beer and if they left it alone for a few days, it became sour and they liked it.

Now we are able to more precisely replicate the style with commercial cultures to get the specific lacto culture you want. Remember there is much more on grain that just lacto, do you want that "other" stuff?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
terrapinj
 
terrapinj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,415
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
you are correct, grain has lactobacillus all over it but as far as the reinheitsgebot, I believe this would go back to before the 4th ingredient, they didn't know what the F was happening, only that it made beer and if they left it alone for a few days, it became sour and they liked it.

Now we are able to more precisely replicate the style with commercial cultures to get the specific lacto culture you want. Remember there is much more on grain that just lacto, do you want that "other" stuff?
there are several threads/posts, including at least 1 i read in this thread that add uncrushed grain into the cooled mash or post boil to sour

i was just curious if using sauermalz would add any additional benefit to just using regular uncrushed grain since it presumably has a higher initial amount of lactobacillus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
there are several threads/posts, including at least 1 i read in this thread that add uncrushed grain into the cooled mash or post boil to sour

i was just curious if using sauermalz would add any additional benefit to just using regular uncrushed grain since it presumably has a higher initial amount of lactobacillus
Plain old malt has plenty of bacteria on it already.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
tennesseean_87
 
tennesseean_87's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Bismarck, ND
Posts: 1,508
Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts


From what I understand, acidmalt has no more bacteria, but is sprayed with lactic acid. It can be used as a significant portion of the grain bill so that you get the sourness but don't have to bother with bugs or stability issues.
__________________
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Drinking: Irish Red, Hoppy Brown, Belgian Export Stout, Oktoberfest, Dubbel
Fermenting: Belgian Saison, Session Steam(ish)
On Deck: Pilsner/Schwarzbier split batch, Berliner Weiss? White IPA?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berliner Weisse rivertranced Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes 32 07-01-2014 05:44 PM
Couple of questions about brewing Berliner Weisse Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 10-14-2012 03:29 AM
Berliner Weisse Javier25 Extract Brewing 0 10-07-2012 11:15 PM
Berliner Weisse Simps Extract Brewing 1 01-08-2012 11:57 PM
Berliner-Weisse help Mustangj Recipes/Ingredients 9 01-15-2011 09:30 AM


Forum Jump