Conditioning - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Conditioning

Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
rodwha
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Lakeway, Texas
Liked 181 Times on 170 Posts

Does refrigeration stall conditioning?
I typically bottle condition for 3 weeks before I put a 6 pack in the fridge for the initial quality check. But I have a brown ale that has an grain alcohol kind of taste after it warms up a little. To set it aside for a bit to age it does it need to come out of the fridge?
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Jul 2011
virginia beach, virginia
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Better to age it at cellar tamps.
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3691 Times on 3171 Posts

It might've needed more than 3 weeks to carb & condition. Ime,conditioning takes about a week longer than carbing to be optimum.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

Cold slows down conditioning greatly- beer (and wine) will still age at fridge temps, but much more slowly.

Beer ages fastest at room temperature, and very slowly at fridge temps. That's why wines (and beers) are typically cellared to slow down the aging in a controlled temperature environment.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

Yep, need to take it out of the fridge. Fridge temps put the yeast to sleep and pretty much halts the aging process.

My first batch was an extract brown ale kit. Was pretty good, though it did have some alcohol warmth to it. It improved slightly with a little age... then at four months, it suddenly transformed to an excellent beer.