HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Anchorage Galaxy inspired beer

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #31
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just pitched the one vial, but only because I wanted to limit my brewery's exposure to brett. At 1.007 I think the available sugars are nothing one vial couldn't handle, that being said, most of what I read about brett suggests pitching rates closer to lager levels. It is possible that two vials or a starter would accelerate the maturation of the brett character but I sort of doubt it. I suspect mr. Fletcher carbs this beer with champagne yeast in addition to the brett, and I will ask him upon our next correspondence.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #32
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is correct for most of his beers that I'm aware of, I talked to him a few days ago and he said if I swung in he would give me some fresh Brett. I plan on oing something like this soon, I really dig he whole Brett/bottle conditioning deal. Gabe also told me he mashes relatively high154/155 because he lets the ale yeast go all the way and Brett takes up what is left. Congrats on the brew WNC. Gabe asked if I would let him try mine when I'm done too, now the pressure is on!
TNGabe Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #33
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm looking to purchase a corker now as I plan to bottle a few different style beers with Brett this spring. I just wonder how much yeast would be appropriate to add to a five gallon batch. Maybe 1 gram?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #34
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew
I'm looking to purchase a corker now as I plan to bottle a few different style beers with Brett this spring. I just wonder how much yeast would be appropriate to add to a five gallon batch. Maybe 1 gram?
Oops please delete.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have you tried degassing some and taking a gravity reading to see how the Brett have eaten

Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #36
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Subbed... This looks like it may be the beer I'm looking to brew soon and get ready for summertime.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
Have you tried degassing some and taking a gravity reading to see how the Brett have eaten
I have not, that would be interesting though. At roughly 20 bucks a bottle in my neck of the woods I am mighty hesitant to degas any amount of it ;o

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2236 Times on 1511 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
I have not, that would be interesting though. At roughly 20 bucks a bottle in my neck of the woods I am mighty hesitant to degas any amount of it ;o
I think he was talking about your beer, not the original.

Bruisin Ales should be called Bustin Heads! I'm going through Kentucky this week and it looks like it's 'only' $14 up there. I'm going to try and pick up the whole line up if I can find it.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #39
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post

I think he was talking about your beer, not the original.

Bruisin Ales should be called Bustin Heads! I'm going through Kentucky this week and it looks like it's 'only' $14 up there. I'm going to try and pick up the whole line up if I can find it.
Ah, I see. I only have 7, 750 ml bottles left of my own, but next time I open one I will de-gas a hydrometer flask full (and grumble about it) and take a gravity. I am going to guess 1.002, but we shall see. I plan on rebrewing this as soon as I get some more galaxy....

TnGabe, leaving town in the morning but will email you when I get back next week

Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #40
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2236 Times on 1511 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Ah, I see. I only have 7, 750 ml bottles left of my own, but next time I open one I will de-gas a hydrometer flask full (and grumble about it) and take a gravity. I am going to guess 1.002, but we shall see. I plan on rebrewing this as soon as I get some more galaxy....

TnGabe, leaving town in the morning but will email you when I get back next week
Groovy. Have a great trip. Lots of fun beers to drink with your lady, can't beat that.