Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > It's Keezer Time

Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default It's Keezer Time

I bought two of the Magic Chef 7.0 cu ft freezers at HD for $158 each. I've been sitting on them for about two weeks now. We've had a contractor in our basement taking out a wall and removing the Berber carpet. We're going to have some 6" wide hand scraped hickory flooring installed on Monday/Tuesday down there. I'm excited about that and it should look great. Today, my wife made my keezer build even easier by telling me she wants it to be painted wood instead of stained hardwood. So it will probably be an antique white to contrast with the dark hickory flooring. That means the outside cabinet surround will use cabinet panels from Home Depot and painted an antique white (maybe distressed). I still may at least try something exotic with the coffin. I have some Mahogany, Figured Makore, Tiger Striped Maple, Cherry and Ribbon Mahogany that I could use on the coffin. But, I'm not sure that would go with the painted/antiqued cabinet.

Progress and photos coming soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Majic Chef 7.0 in Tahoe.jpg
Views:	2276
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	86439  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Blowntri5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subscribe. I just got one of these on Black Friday. I am in the process of getting all of my components. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Today, I worked on a coffin box design. This is very close to what I'll wind up with. Again today, my wife confirmed that she would prefer it to be painted and antiqued or distressed. So, I can use stuff like pine, MDF and particle board and no expensive wood. But, I know others have painted theirs and still used some wood to trim it. Like the one at the bottom built by Reeg68bird. He went beyond a normal coffin box. I still think I'd like to use some natural wood and not have it all painted. Whatever I decide, this will be a good model for all the dimensions.

I put this together with a biscuit joiner and Titebond II wood glue. There is a front and rear view. The top is not on yet but when it is, there will be about a 1/2" overhang on the sides and front. I may use a nice piece of wood for the top. The tap panel or whatever it is called is 4-in high. I'll have to drill some holes in it and insert a shank to see if I can get my hand in there to tighten it.

Name:	DSC_0271.jpg
Views:	2078
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	86636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0272.jpg
Views:	2112
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	86637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keezer 4.jpg
Views:	2639
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	86641  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My drip tray came today. This is the one from ebay and $27.00 shipped. I ordered this on Friday and it came today (Monday).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130732175995...84.m1438.l2649

Name:	DSC_0273.jpg
Views:	2073
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	86681  

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tonight, I decided to keep this coffin box. I added the top and sealed the inside with black caulk. The black doesn't do anything, but it does help me see it better in all the joints. I also decided to go with some wood on the top and I used some of my leftover mahogany veneer from a speaker building project. Tomorrow, I'll get the three paint coats on (3 colors) to start the antique paint scheme. I also bought the glass tile panels that go on the front. I plan to cut out an opening for my controller and then add the glass tile around that. I think I'll use travertine or something dark to contrast with the paint.

In addition to painting, I think I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy the lumber for my base, framing and outer skirt.

The big news for me is the new floor in the basement will be finished tomorrow and I can start working on sorting out everything down there.

Name:	DSC_0275.jpg
Views:	1974
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	86773   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0276.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	86774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	1948
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	86775  

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I watched a lot of videos on antique white painting and I thought I could do it. I did not like the way it looked at all. So, I pulled out the mahogany veneer and I may go with this. The top has 4 coats of poly with two to go. The sides and front only have one coat and I plan 6 for those as well. There is still some work to do below the taps. There will be tile in there but the sides will not be tile.

My new flooring was finished in my basement yesterday and I need to make up my mind about the coffin and skirt. By this weekend, I plan to have a final plan.

This is the coffin with mahogany veneer:

Name:	DSC_0292.jpg
Views:	1935
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	87083  

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

After my experiment with the antique white finish, I decided to stick to wood. Here is the almost final result. I still need another 1-2 coats of urethane. The holes for the taps need to be drilled and I need to cut the hole out for the digital display and tile the backsplash. The front tap panel is African Mottled Mokore and the rest is African Mahogany. There is even a little bit of a crotch pattern in the mahogany. With 1-2 more coats, the mottled grain in the Makore will really pop...and the Perlicks will probably completely hide it.

Name:	DSC_0303.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	87330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0304.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	87331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0305.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	87332  

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I also finally took the freezer out of the box and experimented with some keg placement. I have 2ea 5-gal ball locks and 2ea 2.5-gal ball locks. I can place three 5-gal kegs on the floor, one 2.5 on the shelf and the other 2.5 would fit 1/2 on the shelf with something under it for support. The 2.5s are stackable, but too tall without a collar. I will only have three taps so a third 5-gal could just be something on deck conditioning or carbing.

Name:	DSC_0297.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	87333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0298.jpg
Views:	1729
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	87334  

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
byounger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks great. Subscribed...

Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I spent a couple of hours framing this thing tonight. My back hurts and my knees are sore and it's not from kissing ass at work. I still need two more pieces at the front, but I think I'm done for the day. I have a pretty big gap between the sides and the framing. I'm also going to use one of those wooden HVAC register covers on the side where the vent is on the freezer. The other thing I will have is a fan on the bottom. I'll cut a hole and then mount a 4-in fan. Instead of blowing air in, I'm going to mount it with the exhaust blowing down/out. I think it may be better to remove the warm air.

Name:	DSC_0306.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	87429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0307.jpg
Views:	1626
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	87430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0308.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	87431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0310.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	87432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0312.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	87433  

-Ernest Hemingway