Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pubstitute Scotch/English Session Porter??

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
This is probably a guess as I haven't had the beer myself (out of town) but having followed the brewmaster on Shut Up About Barclay Perkins and elsewhere, I suspect it's a rather simple recipe. I am not saying your recipe is wrong or that it would turn out horrible. Not my intent.

My notes suggest its: 94% pale malt (MO or GP or another similar pale), 3% crystal 120L and 3% roasted barley. Probably the keys to the brew is using a small single dose of low AA% hops somewhere earlier or at 60 minutes in a 4 hour boil. That's right, a 4 hour boil. They may not also use the Scottish yeast. You could always email the brewery and see if they open the kimono for you, or, offer some suggestions.
I agree...my initial research didn't include much information, so I was just taking a shot at a grain bill based on the description. I have since learned the beer is intended to be a "Scottish 60 Shilling" and since the brewer Kristen England seems to prefer brewing historically and stylistically accurate recipes...your suggestion is probably closer.