Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Adventures in Portland, ME

Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Hello all,

Spending the day/night in Portland courtesy of my gf. It was my birthday gift and so far this is a great city for beer.

First stop was The Great Lost Bear for lunch. Chicken wings and craft line up were awesome. I was drinking Peeper Pale ale from Maine Beer Co. Very smooth, easy drinking with a perfect hop spice. Highly recommended. They even had Hop Devil and Stone IPA on tap.

Second stop, Allagash Brewery for the tour. Kicked off right with samples of White, House, Interlude, and Curieux(?). The house was a Belgian session beer. You could buy a wooden case of 22s. The Interlude was interesting. Very sweet with just a hint of sour. They ferment with one yeast, then use a brett to add the sour. The curieux was aged in Jim Beam barrels. You could definitely get that whiskey flavor but it was very smooth. There was also barrels of Iliad. The guide didn't go into much detail because he thought it sounded awful but it's a beer aging in tequila barrels. They said it probably won't be available to the public because it was a small batch. I'm hoping they at least try a limited run. They also had some beer aging in rum barrels but I can't remember the name. Also, grabbed 2 bottles of Hugh Malone, a Belgian IPA, which is my favorite Allagash beer. Very well balanced beer.

Right now I'm sitting around the hotel room while my gf takes a breather. The hotel is right on top of Sebago and we are heading out to Grittys soon. Hopefully remember to update this thread later. If you got any suggestions on places to go, let me hear it. I'll be drinking til I can't.

Mike

Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Next stop, Sebago. The Fryes Leap IPA was pretty good. I kept thinking about Harpoon IPA. Very similar. The Roundabout Red Ale was rich and malty but not too much body, unfortunately. The Smalls English pale ale was a nice change of pace. Very roasty and caramely, medium body.

Not sure the next stop but so far I'm having a great time.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
TwoJays
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Great beer city. Underrated IMO