wine juice - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > wine juice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
lhjf75
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 14



Does anyone here make wine from grape juice. I don't mean juice like Welch's. I got grape juice for wine in 6 gallon buckets. Can't find anywhere on the net about making wine from this type of juice. I no it can be just a western mass thing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lhjf75
Does anyone here make wine from grape juice. I don't mean juice like Welch's. I got grape juice for wine in 6 gallon buckets. Can't find anywhere on the net about making wine from this type of juice. I no it can be just a western mass thing.
Here are juice instructions from my local supplier.

http://jwdover.com/catalog/winemaking_how_to.php#Juice

http://www.grapeandgranary.com/juiceinstruction.html

It's pretty simple. I make all my white wines from juice like this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 169 Times on 153 Posts


You need to consult your source to find out if they have been dosed with k-meta/campden already, when and how much- because you really need to know this moving forward...if not, the wine may start fermenting on its own. Many times there is a label and it will indicate a SO2 level.

But here are instructions as provided by Walker's Fruit Basket.. http://www.walkersfruitbasket.com/Pa...tructions.html
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
lhjf75
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 14


Thanks, I all ready made the wine. I am just feeling like an outcast. Cant find anyone making wine from that kind of juice or making wine in old stainless steel beer kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
lhjf75
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 14


This is just juice nothing added. A guy i work with buys the juice puts it in kegs and lets it ferment with the natural yeasts

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,742
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lhjf75 View Post
This is just juice nothing added. A guy i work with buys the juice puts it in kegs and lets it ferment with the natural yeasts
Yes, many people do that. Some buy the juice (or the grapes) in buckets and do acid adjustments and the like as well. I'd say it's the most common way for winemakers to make wine, unless they own a vineyard.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
lhjf75
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 14


Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post

Here are juice instructions from my local supplier.

http://jwdover.com/catalog/winemaking_how_to.php#Juice

http://www.grapeandgranary.com/juiceinstruction.html

It's pretty simple. I make all my white wines from juice like this.
After looking at your link I realize where I was going wrong with my internet searches. Not using the word "fresh" in my searches

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
fuzzy15845
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 3

Check out walkers fruit juice. Forestville ny. I have been getting juice there for 15 years!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,613
Liked 157 Times on 141 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lhjf75 View Post
Thanks, I all ready made the wine. I am just feeling like an outcast. Cant find anyone making wine from that kind of juice or making wine in old stainless steel beer kegs.
The only difference between buying just the juice and the wine kits is that you have to measure out the other ingredients yourself as opposed to tearing open a package and adding the contents. Most of the wine I have done is from kits, but lots of folks here in CT buy pails of juice.

The stainless steel keg setup is simple and elegant. Glad to see someone using it for wine as opposed to beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
lhjf75
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 14


Well this is my first year making wine. I got all my info to start my wine from the guy I work with. I don't think next time I will make my wine the same way. Like I said all he does is dump the juice in the kegs , adds some brown sugar and let the yeast already in there do it thing. So that's what I have sitting in the basement right now is that style of wine.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just juice wine rseckler Winemaking Forum 8 02-04-2014 05:02 AM
Blackberry juice wine yeastluvr Winemaking Forum 2 08-31-2011 10:05 PM
RW Knudsen Juice Wine Beernik Winemaking Forum 3 02-28-2010 03:37 AM
Wine from Zin juice guscampag Winemaking Forum 6 09-12-2009 05:27 PM
wine from juice Donna Winemaking Forum 10 10-02-2008 02:23 AM


Forum Jump