How much is medically acceptable? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How much is medically acceptable?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Tennessee
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I get a call from the preadmission nurse regarding a procedure I have scheduled next month. One of the questions is "do you use alcohol and if so how much?" My answer is of course yes and I drink about 6 to 8 beers a week. There is a perceived gasp or at least a "hmmmm" on the other end followed by a series of questions about my drinking history. One of the questions is "Have you ever worried or felt that you drink too much or you should cut back on your alchohol consumption?" Eventually I start asking questions in reply or possibly in defense and she says that the real concern is whether I might start experiencing withdrawal before I am released from the hospital.
So are there any 6 pack a week alcholics out there?
It all just seems a little overboard to me but I could be living in la la land. I don't know. Any thoughts from my drinking colleagues?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
kpr121

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts

Ive been in the same position before. If you say one beer a night with dinner it sounds better.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Tennessee
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I suppose. But the truth is some days I'll have 2 or 3 and some days I'll have none.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
kpr121

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts

You dont have anything to worry about.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Shreveport, Louisiana
Liked 93 Times on 65 Posts

I had a similar thing happen to me with a physical where I did my internship.

"Have you ever smoked?"

"Yes."

"Hmmm we're going to have to do more tests. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?"

"A day? I have probably smoked 20 in my life."

"So you've just started smoking?"

:facepalm: "No. I mean I smoke very very rarely. Like one every 3 months."

"So you're trying to quit but are having difficulties with your addiction?"

"What?"

10 beers a week is about the max of what I drink. But it's usually 2 or 3 during the week and the rest over the weekend. My SWMBO actually drinks more of my homebrew than I do...

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Dearborn Heights, MI
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This why I don't bother telling the truth in most cases, or at the very least sugar coat it.

Do I smoke? No. I do smoke cigars occasionally, but it's not worth saying yes to.

Do I drink? A couple times a week. And I'm sure if you averaged it out over a month or year that's true. Sometimes I'll have a beer a night for a week, other times I won't drink for several weeks straight.

But it seems every time you answer "yes" to such questions, it's assumed you have a "problem".

Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 319 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak View Post
... "do you use alcohol and if so how much?" ...
There is the problem. I do not use alcohol. I drink beer but I do not use alcohol

Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5515 Times on 4666 Posts

I tell them I make it 5 gallons at a time. They tell me not to drink it all at once.

scrambledegg81 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
brycelarson
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

The answers on this thread are exactly why they asked more questions - nearly everyone lies so they assume you do as well. If many of us have 3 beers 3-5 days a week but report just one beer with dinner - they assume you're reporting lower than actual as well. I've had the same conversation because i tell how much I actually drink.

I assume a good number of people on this forum land in the clinical category of alcoholism - as have a huge portion of humans ever since we figured out how to control fermentation and made booze readily available. If you're not missing work, f**king up your life or otherwise damaging yourself with beer - then don't worry about it.

People Like This 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
BrewGeek_Ohio

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't really see the problem with a beer a day. It's not like I need to have it. I haven't had a beer all week then had 2 last night. I usually skip a few days now and then. IMHO if you find yourself skipping a meal and drinking a six pack instead more than a couple nights a week, then there might be a problem.