Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What percentage of your beer is homebrew?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4441 Times on 2674 Posts
Likes Given: 8123

most%

"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"

Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 128

at most 50% but more likely 10 to 25%... Mostly because I don't brew enough to keep up.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

At home: 100% homebrew.
If I'm out at a restaurant, it all depends. More often than not, I don't pick a beer when I'm at a restaurant. When visiting family, 100% homebrew. I supply them with homebrew. They usually let me know when it's running low, or I'll just bring a few bottles with me. Now that I also have some 1 gallon corny kegs, I'll be more inclined to just bring that (I can easily fit one into my small, hard igloo, cooler. Probably fit a CO2 bottle and regulator in there too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Seems my estimates were pretty much in line with reality. I kind of figured that I would end up drinking 75-90% homebrew. Didn't figure that it would make sense to pay more for a product that seems equal or in some cases worse than what experienced homebrewers make. I don't know if I can go 100% because I sometimes see a beer I've never had and am compelled to buy some.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHead View Post
Seems my estimates were pretty much in line with reality. I kind of figured that I would end up drinking 75-90% homebrew. Didn't figure that it would make sense to pay more for a product that seems equal or in some cases worse than what experienced homebrewers make. I don't know if I can go 100% because I sometimes see a beer I've never had and am compelled to buy some.
In the 2 years I've been brewing, I've not purchased any beer from a store (to drink at home). I've not seen anything on the shelves that was a big enough draw, for me, to purchase. With the better stocked beer stores in NH, that might change, but I'm more inclined to think it won't.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
beernut70
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

98% I really only buy a beer I have never had it or if it's style I am interested in brewing (research).

Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #17
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

80%. When I brew something new, I buy commercial examples to calibrate against. I also visit breweries as frequently as I can and I tend to try to keep up with new things they are trying. When I was building my bottle collection up, I had a lot of Sam Adams around.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Most, because I don't get out to stores much. When I am out shopping though, about twice a month, I like to buy a good commercial brew. Or, if I am out to eat, again, about twice a month. Besides, most of what I brew... I'd have to drink at least 6 of a commercial variety to get the same relaxation sensation I get from 2 or 3 of my own.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
freemanmh
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just started brewing in June, and my first batch was "drinkable" by the end of July. That first batch is down to the last 6-pack, I've polished off a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde and have the second batch of that bottle conditioned already, and I have 3 others that are conditioned and in the rotation already. I'm also winding down the first batch of my Edwort's Apfelwein (batch #2 is 4 months in the fermenter this week, about time to bottle!). I've got a couple of beers to bottle this weekend (Bass clone and a Fat Tire clone), and a couple more to bottle in a few weeks (Guinness clone and a Spotted Cow clone). In other words, plenty of variety.

Last night was the first time I've bought beer since that first batch was conditioned enough to drink. I bought a 4-pack of New Glarus Saison (never had a New Glarus beer I didn't like, and that is continuing with this one), and a 6-pack of Sam Adams IPAs (2 each of 3 different kinds) because I'm getting ready to brew my first IPA and wanted a few before I embark on that journey.

Once you get a pipeline going, there's really no need to buy beer from the store unless there's just something you want to try.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
flipfloptan
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

75%. In charleston we have 4 excellent micro brews and I will grab a growler from them. Holy city just down the street just won gabf gold medal for their porter.

Plus all of them are homebrew friendly. I seem to find an extra bag of hops or a neat little recipe to try in the bag when I get home.