Mr. Beer First Tasting - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer First Tasting
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
ssult1
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Kentwood, Michigan
Posts: 33
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8 View Post
Lol, are you married? My wife says it smells like a feed store.. and I think it smells delicious. I to stick my head over the boiling wort and just breathe in all its goodness. I also like to make her smell my beers and her response is always "It smells like beer." She just doesn't understand... poor soul.
The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
dadshomebrewing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Chicago, Il
Posts: 817
Liked 110 Times on 76 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.


http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...flavor_profile
here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.


btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle


__________________
'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
cheesecake
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Palatine il
Posts: 1,039
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing View Post
here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.


btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle


Well put
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:Plum Wine,Centennial Blonde,Sweet Browns HOP POP,Bruxeles Blonde bbs,American BarleyWine,RIS,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssult1 View Post
The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.
I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,250
Liked 128 Times on 101 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.
Back to rule number one of most households. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
Ogri
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Osaka, Japan
Posts: 830
Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Back to rule number one of most households. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"!
Ne'er a truer word spoken

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #27
schooner427
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I still have my Mr beer. I'm not ashamed to say I still use it once in awhile. Its great for a couple of brews they have, but for much better beer.... I still brew in the pot. My family says it stinks , but as my wife found out if you stay in the kitchen it had a much more pleasant aroma...



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer tasting > wine tasting JonM General Beer Discussion 14 03-25-2011 08:20 PM
Beer tasting azfalcon Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-04-2011 10:06 AM
tasting beer william_shakes_beer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-13-2010 05:28 AM
Bad tasting beer biZurk Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 10-19-2009 11:12 AM
How to get into beer tasting.. Tiako Commercial Brew Discussion 23 08-18-2009 03:18 PM


Forum Jump