Mr. Beer First Tasting - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer First Tasting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts



Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.


http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...flavor_profile

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,247
Liked 128 Times on 101 Posts


It sounds like success to me! Your first beer, looks good, smells good, and it's drinkable. Nice!

Welcome to the addiction (hobby?)!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :-)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Amherst, MA
Posts: 793
Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts


Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.
__________________
Whether beer is made in waders or in a toilet tank, as long as it is fun and the brewer likes how it tastes, who cares how it is brewed?
- VladOfTrub

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.
Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
allenH
 
allenH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Sanford, Florida
Posts: 4,308
Liked 2680 Times on 1578 Posts


Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.
My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,247
Liked 128 Times on 101 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :-)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.
These three Items may very well be connected. If you've been reading books and this forum now, I'm sure you've come to realize that even though Mr. Beer is a WONDERFUL way to get started making beer there are a lot of things they intentionally leave out to keep the process as simple as possible. Using measurements instead of, or at very least, in conjunction with time is one of the biggies. There goal (and that of most that begin brewing this way, myself included) is to make drinkable beer as quick as possible. The "fusels" you're tasting may just be the result of being too young (the beer, not you), and may very well go away in time. Patients you will find is your ally, but is certainly hard to come by in the beginning. Once you learn to let your beer tell you its done (hydrometer readings and taste etc) instead of a calendar or clock, you'll find yourself with better beer even if you follow the same recipe's.

BTW - No. Unfortunately you wont be able to get your current ABV without gravity readings, before and after fermentation. At least not without some hefty lab equipment....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,382
Liked 289 Times on 236 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :-)
I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting:
Bottled conditioning: Black IPA
Bottled in the refe: Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Largering in refer: Oktoberfest

.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer tasting > wine tasting JonM General Beer Discussion 14 03-25-2011 08:20 PM
Beer tasting azfalcon Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-04-2011 10:06 AM
tasting beer william_shakes_beer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-13-2010 05:28 AM
Bad tasting beer biZurk Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 10-19-2009 11:12 AM
How to get into beer tasting.. Tiako Commercial Brew Discussion 23 08-18-2009 03:18 PM


Forum Jump