Camlock question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Camlock question

Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 390
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey all,

I'm getting some camlocks soon and I'm having a tough time deciding what to use for my female couplers. I'm deciding between type C (with the built in hose barb) type D with a 5/8" hose barb screwed on, or type B and force the silicone tubing over the 1/2" male threading.
All three are shown here halfway down the page.

My preference would be for type C for simplicity but I'd like to hear what you guys who've been using them have to say. I've read that type C can restricrt flow. Any thoughts/opinions on any of these?



Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Apr 2010
New Jersey
Posts: 299
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

I use the type d and have no complaints. If you are bothered by the threads you can just grind them off. But they seem to have zero impact on my experience.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Apr 2010
New Jersey
Posts: 299
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

B rather.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Apr 2008
Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 978
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

B works for me too. I boil my coldside hose/camlock assemblies with my plate chiller every batch though. If I was relying on PBW and starsan flush, I might think otherwise.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
ChandlerBang's Avatar
Oct 2010
Posts: 3,044
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I don't have camlocks (although eventually I'd like to?)

I have several 1/2" hose barbs in my system and have not found a problem with restriction. Currently my pump is about 24" below the kettle valve, so that helps. But take it for what it's worth....
Originally Posted by D_Struct View Post
I would've made a crayon schematic if I thought this was going to hang people up.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Dec 2010
lebanon, ohio
Posts: 35
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use type B with a 90 degree street elbow so the hose doesn't kink
I then just 'screw' my silicone hose onto the elbow.
No leaks.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Feb 2012
manchester, nh
Posts: 85
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Type C is a really small port. I've got one and 1/2" silicone hose doesn't fit snugly at all. I'd have to clamp it if I used it.

I recently picked up some B style camlocks and plan on using those. They fit over the threads pretty good.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Gitmoe's Avatar
Jul 2012
Norristown, PA
Posts: 574
Liked 103 Times on 69 Posts

I use the Type C and they work just fine for me. Never had a flow issue. Also don't have any sealing issues. I use 1/2" ID thermal hose and without hose clamps I've never had a leak.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Barnesie's Avatar
Apr 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 360
Liked 67 Times on 35 Posts

Type B here with 1/2 hose screwed on and hose clamped for piece of mind. Simple and cheap.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
oakbarn's Avatar
Jun 2011
Argyle, Texas
Posts: 854
Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts

Depends on where you are using them. If on the input side of a pump a 1/2 inch hose barb will not do well, I would use a 3/4 hose barb and hose on the input side. In the outlets, they are fine. You need a full port 1/2 on the inlet (or 3/4 with center inlet chugger) so as not to restrict flow.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BargainFitting Camlock Question LiquidFlame Equipment/Sanitation 5 11-26-2012 02:27 PM
Question to those using camlock fittings uberg33k Equipment/Sanitation 5 07-25-2012 10:06 PM
camlock question zmurda Brew Stands 6 04-11-2012 02:10 AM
Camlock Question Frogger42 Equipment/Sanitation 10 02-09-2012 06:47 AM
Camlock question originalben Brew Stands 0 02-06-2011 09:08 PM

Forum Jump