Can't figure out how to mount this element, maybe you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshaunt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got two elements for my birthday from my girlfriend, but I just can't figure out how I can mount them to my HLT (it is a HDPE one). Before I'll put it for years in the closet and lie about the fact that I am using it, maybe someone here knows how to mount it?

20121130175255.jpg

20121130175318.jpg

20121130175335.jpg

20121130175349.jpg

20121130175401.jpg

20121130175416.jpg

I hope the photos are sufficient, if not, I'll post better ones.

Im not an electrician or have much more clue than you, but that looks like a 3phase element to me.

My first thought was that it was triclamp, but the bevel makes me thing that it wont fit a triclamp.
Do you know what the wattage, voltage and heat per square inch is?

Im not an electrician or have much more clue than you, but that looks like a 3phase element to me.

My first thought was that it was triclamp, but the bevel makes me thing that it wont fit a triclamp.
Do you know what the wattage, voltage and heat per square inch is?

Not an electrician myself either, but she told me that it can be run on 220v by hooking it up parallel. Which my circuit is able to handle. But I only need around 4kw each element, so the wattage per square inch should be neat.

I wanted to buy the ULWD from Camco myself, but shipment and import fees would triple the price, which I found to be a waste (but at least I would have had a simple screw in element :ban: )

Not an electrician myself either, but she told me that it can be run on 220v by hooking it up parallel. Which my circuit is able to handle. But I only need around 4kw each element, so the wattage per square inch should be neat.

I wanted to buy the ULWD from Camco myself, but shipment and import fees would triple the price, which I found to be a waste (but at least I would have had a simple screw in element :ban: )

Not sure where you're located Brewshaunt, but if you're in Canada then check out amazon.com, I found a company on there that offered $4 shipping for the traditional Camco ULWD 5500 watt elements, so it only cost me like $26 Canadian for it, more than I'd pay in the stores here for a lesser wattage/quality element.

I have nothing to offer as far as hooking up a 3phase element to 240v though :)

I think a 2" triclamp ferrule and clamp would accept that element. You'd just slide it in then.

It is a 3 phase element, that's for sure. However this doesn't matter. A three phase element is really just 3 single phase elements put on one mounting flange. You can run only one or two of them if you want. If you do want to run three, then hook them up to separate circuits, and switch a few off to reduce heat if you want controllability.

You will need to think of each element loop on there as a separate 240v normal element.

Back