Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Size of first brew kettle

Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Most starter kits don't come with a kettle...and I wouldn't buy a kettle from the brew shop unless you have extra $$$.

If you decide on a full wort boil, u simply start with 6 to 6.5 gallons, instead of the recommended 3 gallons. All else is the same.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
brewingbound
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the posts everybody. I think I'm going go ahead and get a 5 gal pot for now and just do partial boils for a little bit. This will give me time to save up for a 10 gal pot with a propane burner

Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingbound View Post
Thanks for the posts everybody. I think I'm going go ahead and get a 5 gal pot for now and just do partial boils for a little bit. This will give me time to save up for a 10 gal pot with a propane burner
Unless you're set on a 10 gallon kettle, keep an eye out for clearanced turkey fryers now that thanksgiving is over. They a bit smaller at 7.5-8 gallons and the burner might not be all that high-powered, but if I see one for $30-$40 I'm jumping one it to replace my in-laws' 5+ year old turkey fryer I'm using right now.
On Deck: 60 Bells IPA [11/22 brewday]
Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
brewingbound
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia

Unless you're set on a 10 gallon kettle, keep an eye out for clearanced turkey fryers now that thanksgiving is over. They a bit smaller at 7.5-8 gallons and the burner might not be all that high-powered, but if I see one for $30-$40 I'm jumping one it to replace my in-laws' 5+ year old turkey fryer I'm using right now.
Yea I'll defiantly keep an eye out. Lol every time I go to like walmart and rural king SWMBO is like omg you're looking for turkey fryers again!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia View Post
I was looking at larger pots and decided it was cheaper to go this route. I got the 30qt pot with burner from Walmart and it worked excellent. Got 6.5 gallons to a raging boil in about 25 minutes. My stove would take longer than that for a partial 2.5 gallon boil.