Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator draft tower cooler: is this crazy?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2320 Times on 1778 Posts

I don't think the big box stores carry what you want to use - real beer line that has a non-vinyl inside barrier lining. Any decent LHBS should carry that - or there's the intertoobs...

Cheers!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #12
jkendrick
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr

I would replace the beer lines with 10 foot runs. I bet you'd see a huge difference in the quality of your pours....

Cheers!
So I bought 10 feet of beer line (I also bought supplies to build a draft tower cooler) but I did some further research before installing the longer beer line. According to this site:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/07...-and-pressure/

The line I have should be long enough. I get a result that three feet should be sufficient with 10 psi, 3/16ID, 38 degrees and 2 feet of height. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 2320 Times on 1778 Posts

I think pretty much every "beer line calculator" assumes 3/16" ID beer line has an internal resistance equivalent to 2.7-3 psi/foot. The problem is line resistance is dependent on volume and velocity - and I suspect wherever those resistance numbers came from they were based on much higher volume and/or velocity than seen in the typical home serving system.

Bottom line, having gone through everything you're going through a couple of years ago and having to replace my original 6 foot calculator-derived lines, I recommend starting with 1 foot of 3/16" ID barrier beer line per psi of serving pressure.

Give newly installed line plenty of time to get as cold as your fridge/freezer before trying a test pour. If your pours are excessively slow with no sign of CO2 break-out, you can try shortening the line by a foot at a time until you're happy. The trick is to stop cutting one foot before the break-out starts

Cheers!