Best price on 6.5 gallon carboys? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > Best price on 6.5 gallon carboys?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
freeokw
Recipes 

Sep 2011
lincoln, ne
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone found an especially good deal on 6.5 gallon carboys?
Time to add a few to the brewhouse.
Thanks,
Keith

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

best price i have ever found brand new

https://bellsbeer.com/store/products...tle%C2%AE.html

Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
NorCalBrewin
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Craigslist, $15 for my 6.5s $10 for my 5s

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts

Yeah, it seems there is always someone trying to unload some of these on craigslist. Are you strongly against buckets? If I had a do over with what I know now I think I might have saved the cash for something else and just bought a nice quality bucket or two.

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
NorCalBrewin
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
Yeah, it seems there is always someone trying to unload some of these on craigslist. Are you strongly against buckets? If I had a do over with what I know now I think I might have saved the cash for something else and just bought a nice quality bucket or two.
I'm not against buckets, thinking about picking up one or two actually. What I don't like about them is they are easily scratched, and the scratch marks can harbor bacteria, also they don't hold an air tight seal.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
huntingohio
Recipes 

Jan 2011
rural, ohio
Liked 55 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBrewin View Post
I'm not against buckets, thinking about picking up one or two actually. What I don't like about them is they are easily scratched, and the scratch marks can harbor bacteria, also they don't hold an air tight seal.
I'm not a genius by anymeans, but in my and alot of peoples opinions the scratched bucket thing is horse pucky. If you fill the bucket with water and sanatizer, the weight of the water will push its way into the crack, more brew lore. Its alot like the you need to replace your bucket every X amount of years/months/brews.I know a guy that has brewed 100 gallons or so a year for 12 years with the same bucket, no problems.

I highly suggest a bucket or two and a carboy, only if you ever want to secondary anything. Save the money for more malts and hops
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
mdfairbairn
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Lakeside Park, KY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio

i'm not a genius by anymeans, but in my and alot of peoples opinions the scratched bucket thing is horse pucky. If you fill the bucket with water and sanatizer, the weight of the water will push its way into the crack, more brew lore. Its alot like the you need to replace your bucket every x amount of years/months/brews.i know a guy that has brewed 100 gallons or so a year for 12 years with the same bucket, no problems.

I highly suggest a bucket or two and a carboy, only if you ever want to secondary anything. Save the money for more malts and hops
+1

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
DPBISME
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Alexandria, VA
Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

Craigslist is a good place to go.... I sold Seven of them that way... anything $30 or under is a good price as far as I know since it does not include shipping.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably just buy buckets. Shoot, we only have a 6.5 and a 5 gallon carboy, but I think those ran us $70 combined. That would have been enough to get a wort chiller instead. That would have been money better spent.

Even a bucket can be used as a secondary (Home Depot bucket with a grommeted lid). Plus, the only reason I really like to secondary is for dry hopping, and dry hopping in a carboy is just a mess.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBrewin View Post
That is definitely the down side of buckets but I think if you just follow appropriate cleaning measures like using some PBW and maybe a nice soft rag to scrub if needed you should be fine. Do that and don't store anything that might scratch a bucket inside of it and you should be fine. That said, I do have carboys and I do like being able to see into them. I like the two better bottles I have, they are like a go between for buckets and carboys.