Easy an cheap wort cooler....Pics inside - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy an cheap wort cooler....Pics inside

Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
RIC0
Recipes 

Oct 2012
On my Wifes $hitlist in Indiana
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Never thought of gettin the pot up off the bottom so more coolness can do it's job... Rock on

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
metanoia
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

Me neither, it was just a piece of advice thrown out there in a podcast I was listening to about a month ago. Now I'm constantly plugged into my earphones if I'm not on here, taking care of the kids, or pretending to listen to SWMBO... *cough*

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
JohnK93
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Danbury, CT
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

On my last brew, I did something very similar except I put the tub of cold water in my sink with some frozen bottles of water in it, then I dropped in the pot of wort. Instead of continuously stirring to move the hot water away from the sides of the pot, I created a flow of water by turning the faucet on a slow trickle of cold water in one corner of the ice bath and siphoning from the other corner of the bath into the sink. After doing this, the ice water stayed pretty cool.

It still took almost 45 minutes to cool the wort, but it seemed to help to create a current to keep the water moving. Guess a chiller is the only sure way

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Recipes 

Sep 2012
San Diego, CA
Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts

My wort chiller was $40 shipped with hoses and hose attachments. And it is like 1/4 the size of that baby pool (I live in an apartment and can't justify storing something of that size).

Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
My wort chiller was $40 shipped with hoses and hose attachments. And it is like 1/4 the size of that baby pool (I live in an apartment and can't justify storing something of that size).
From where and how??

Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Des Moines, IA
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I use my bath tub and about 12-15 frozen bottles of various sizes so I can appreciate this. I have added salt to most of the bottles to lower the temps even more. I don't know, beyond the fact that salt lowers the freezing temps, if and why I thought this would work, but I did it anyways. It probably doesn't actually make the ice colder. Oh well, haha. It usually takes about 30-40 minutes if I shift the pot from each end of the tub as the water warms. It cools much faster when I stir the wort but that's just work.

IPA
Boat Beer
Oud Bruin /vanilla
Coffee IPA
Pre prohibition Cream Ale
Mexican Stout in BB

Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
IffyG
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Nashville
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
From where and how??
I bought a stainless 25' chiller from here for less than 50 bucks shipped. Looks like prices have gone up a bit since I bought it, but it's still relatively inexpensive. http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chillers.html

LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Recipes 

Sep 2012
San Diego, CA
Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig

From where and how??
Ebay!

LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Stix
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Davisburg, Mi
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was a huge cold break guy. I would cool that sucker down in 15 minutes and pitching yeast. I would still get some with haze. I brewed my last IPA and while it was on the boil I dropped my carboy and tried to catch it but all i got was a cut up hand. I finished the boil and had to goto the ER to get stitched up. I just covered it and left it there for 3 hours outside. Got back and it was at pitching temp. It was the clearest beer I think I have ever had. So now I am perplexed. I am rethinking the importance of this cold break.

Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3617 Times on 3106 Posts

Chilling down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less nixes chill haze at fridge time. But after dry hopping my IPA wi .5oz od the tree hops used in the boil,I got some hop haze. I think it's from the hops not being in the boil?...

New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU